Gas prices??????

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by R.J.M., Apr 26, 2018.

1. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The same can be said for my '70 Chevy pickup.

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Last road trip in the 2003 Corvette I got 29.3 mpg. Not bad for 350 hp. Even with cylinder deactivation it has so much torque it can lug along at 1400 rpm on the highway and you don't have to down shift for hills, and can hardly tell it's running.

My Focus is spinning 3000 at 70 and sounds like it wants to rip your throat out.

When we rallied my friend's "lightly" modified (400+ HP) Eagle Talon we had stages where we were lucky to get 6 mpg. We planned 4 mpg for logistical reasons.

jiggin is livin likes this.

3. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

It got 50 plus miles per gallon and would do 120 with a 4 banger which I did a couple of times in Germany on the autoban...

Plenty of 4 bangers out there now that are governed to 155 mph. What used to be super car speeds 20 years ago can be reached in a used WRX for $10k. My Focus, which doesn't even have a turbo, can hit 110 in 4th before the fuel cuts off, at 100 in fifth it's not even into the power as the VVTi hasn't kicked in yet at 5k.

4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

We would have a lot more crude if we were not giving it away to foreign countries in Valdeze.

When I first started driving gas was around 24 cents a gallon. I was making a whopping $1.25 an hour.

Howard Baumann, jimp and Scout 2 like this.
  5. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Giving it away, or selling it?

6. multibeard

Selling I guess but we need to look out for ourselves so our supply does not get depleted. We have enough oil reserves now to last a long time unless we sell it to other countries. It is time for us to stop worrying about supporting the rest of the world and look out after the USA. So many we help out end up stabbing us in the back in the long run.

7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Refining cost is .40-.70 today. Federal taxes are .18. State taxes avg .21 across the country. So we are right about $1 today not counting the cost of the crude oil, crude oil shipping and gas delivery. If crude was $10 a barrel gas would still cost somewhere in between $1 - 1.25 a gallon today. Many of those costs were non existent or far cheaper when you made $1.25 an hr. The fact that your hourly rate was $1.25 shows it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

It may be more efficient, and cost effective, to sell it than ship it. Just guessing. There may not be enough refining capability on the west coast to handle the increase in crude. Again, guessing.

9. multibeard

If there are not enough refineries then keep the greenies from holding them back.

So we sell our oil and then have to buy mid eastern crude, probably at a higher price set by them That is ridiculous. Screw the oil barons of the middle east and not buy their crude when we have enough to last us for a long long time.

jiggin is livin, Scout 2 and Jimbo 09 like this.
  10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

We buy very little crude from the middle east. Most of our imports come from Canada.

11. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Yeah, and gas stations actually ran out of gas back then! I have only ever seen a station run out of regular in the last 35 or so years, never completely out, they still had mid-grade and premium. And very few occurrences at that!

But not back in the 70's, you saw multiple stations out of gas, ALL gas, leaded and unleaded premium or not. So don't believe any shortage crap!

How many kids here didn't know our gas was leaded at one time I wonder... :eek:

12. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I was lucky enough to have friends that were pump jockeys back then. I always had a full tank!

If I remember right it was around 60 cents a gallon.

13. AKhunter

AKhunter

Gas is $3.15 here in kenai Alaska.

Alaby likes this.
  14. multibeard

When my brother lived in Fairbanks the gas cost more there than in Anchorage. The gas was refined in Fairbanks.

Josh R likes this.
  15. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

It is Sad where I am 2 Stations are always 20 cents more 2.89 credit and 2.79 Cash, drive south a mile and it was 2.69 credit and 2.59 so 20 cents makes it worth the short Drive down Van Dyke... But It is always something they can blame it on Talk was last week in the News that Syria would cause issues in the Middle East and Drive Gas Prices Up... Yet Are we the US producing a lot more Oil that is made into gasoline? yet Ford Motor Company is ending their Small Car Production maybe they Know something we Don't being Trucks and SUV's is where they are banking on Sales not the Smaller Focus and others they make! At Least that was also in the New's this last week... It is just the Way it works...
    Newaygo1