Garmin Watches

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Gamekeeper, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Are there apps/widgets for dog tracking for any other smart watches besides Garmin?

I have an Astro 430, been thinking about a watch, and it isn't clear to me which watches will link to the 430.
    It's purely a convenience item.
    Maybe some other smart watch would be more appealing.

2. hehibrits

hehibrits

Sorry not to answer your question directly, but I have the Instinct and love it.

birdhntr likes this.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

I will be using mine for the first time this weekend but everyone seems to like it a lot.

4. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

I'm not sure if there's any one other then Garmin that'll link to the Garmin handhelds

I just bought the instinct, seems great so far around home with the dogs. Hope to get out this weekend in the woods with it

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

5. mcfish

mcfish

I’m real happy with my Instinct too. I have the Alpha and it’s great to not have it hanging around my neck anymore.

6. ab5228

ab5228

I’m jealous, I’ve got the dogtra pathfinder. Really wish it had an app for the Apple Watch.

7. augustus0603

augustus0603

Instinct is great. So convenient to not have to dig out my handheld with a dog on point.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

8. Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay

Deep in the Grouse Woods and Trout Streams
    For those with Garmin Instinct, how does it compare to the Garmin Fenix line of watches?

I have a Fenix 3 that works fine with my Alpha but I’m curious if they’ve made some improvements with the Instinct.

9. birdhntr

birdhntr

I used the watch for the first time this weekend and it was amazing.
    The astro was a big step up in late December of 2018.I bought the astro because I walked past my dog a few times while on point for an eternity it seemed like.
    The watch is everything that you want.
    I carried the astro in a safe pocket with no worries.Had my two collars on it.Then I added my friends tracking id number to my astro.That was awesome and when a dog was on point we didn't even need to talk.We just went to the dog on point.
    Saturday I left it on the charger at moms place and I was so adjusted to it from friday that I couldn't go without it so after that cover I went back for it.

skidoojc likes this.
  10. mcfish

mcfish

It’s a game changer for sure. Used it all weekend. Heavy Alpha only left my pocket once. I needed to see where the road was.

11. gundogguy

gundogguy

I can not speak for the Garmin Watches. How ever Garmin is really on the Cutting edge. Their Panoptix LiveScope is a real came changer in the fishing world. It is turning Gills and Crappie fishing into a video game, and Bass fishing huge numbers of fish are being caught once the school is located.

I have often thought "Bird Or Game Radar" is not to far off.

Hal

12. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission Premium Member

I thought that’s what the dog was for!

gundogguy likes this.
  13. bogsucker

bogsucker

I have my Alpha paired with my Garmin Venu watch. There is an app in their app store that allows you to have a screen on your watch that is just an arrow to your dog and how far away it is, updating every 2.5 sec. When it goes on point, the watch vibrates along with the Alpha. It's awesome.

14. birdhntr

birdhntr

The alpha and astro are on 2.5 second pings so that is the same for the watch as it is basically a bluetooth device.
    My watch was pointing an arrow toward all three dogs and when one made point it showed a standing dog and just the dogs name for the running dogs.Is the app just to make it larger to view?
    Here is my view minus a third dog which would be below it.
    20200923_172837.jpg 20200923_172840.jpg

15. gundogguy

gundogguy

It most certainly is what the dog is for. But Garmin is not in the dog business. They are in the electronics business.
    Check out the depth sounder that Buck Perry and Carl Lowrance first invented many years ago

Things have changed drastically in the last 50 years what will the next fifty bring!

Hal