close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gardening 2018

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by goodworkstractors, Apr 15, 2018.

1. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors Sponsor

The season is coming soon even though this Spring has been awful so far as far as weather goes. Anyone trying anything new this year?

We moved two summers ago and so last year was the first year I could grow some plants on our new place. I saw what the wildlife had done to the landscaping in the back half of the yard so I held off on tilling in a large garden until I could figure out the best solution. Really looking forward to this season as it's been a few years since I've had a decent garden.

I'm leaning towards tilling in a garden right off the back of our house. The deer and critters don't seem to mess with things as much there, although the few tomato plants I had last year were a favorite of some unknown thief who'd take a bite out of each tomato and leave the rest to rot.

However, I have cherry, nectarine, and apple trees plus raspberry and blueberry bushes. I have netting around the trees and nothing around the bushes right now. Is there a good solution that provides the protection needed for the trees/bushes and also offers easy access to pick fruit?

2. retired dundo

retired dundo

Last year I had hen turkey come in my garden every couple days. I never seen it peck my tomatoes she was usually leaving when I saw her.But I would go to garden and allways find about 3or4 tomatoes with half inch holes in them.Iam sure it was her because only found them when she was around

3. Mike

Mike

If you have deer, you’ll need a fence...

Mike

4. Scout 2

Scout 2

I have never had a problem with berry bushes. I cannot grow cherry or nectarine trees here but wish I had a nectarine tree. On my apple trees they usually left the fruit on the tree alone until one dropped and they would get the lower ones. Now fence the trucks in or the bucks will root them out in the fall. I put livestock fence around mine that goes out about a foot bigger than the tree on the trunk and they leave them alone. I was told that the orange snowfence will work but have never tried it. They claimed all you have to do is lay in on the ground but I am not sure about that part of the story. The deer ate our rubarb plants in the fall and killed the whole row out

FullQuiver likes this.
  5. JBooth

JBooth

Deer will eat everything edible anywhere come fall and summer. Doesn't matter where its located. They just wait until dark then come up to your back door.

6. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors Sponsor

Seems like it except I know they aren't eating any plants near our house. Basically no damage to anything from deer. The tomatoes that are partially eaten are tucked under in places that I don't think a deer could even get to. There will be a bite taken from a tomato on the bottom side yet it is still attached to the vine. So, something else is getting at those.

7. retired dundo

retired dundo

I know they eat tomatoes because I use them for bait by my trail cameras.They like the cherry tomatoes the best.But I never have them come in to the garden.It might be because I plant a lot of marigolds in garden.I don’t think they like the smell.idont have trouble with any animals not Evan rabbitaexcept last year one turkey

8. Radar420

Radar420

Squirrels and/or chipmunks.

I've had dozens of tomatoes stripped off plants in a few days from those vermin. Chipmunks will climb the vine and take bites. If the plants are too tall to support a squirrel, the squirrels will bite the stem and bend/break the stem towards the ground to get the tomatoes.

goodworkstractors likes this.
  9. Scout 2

Scout 2

Might might be chipmunks

10. Scout 2

Scout 2

Deer love strawberries also they eat the berries and then come back and pull the plants and eat them

11. JBooth

JBooth

yup, chipmunks and even birds.

Sometimes I catch my dogs in there too but they don't hide them.