close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Garbage in the woods....

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by bigmac, Apr 10, 2018.

1. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

Everytime I throw a banana peel out the window I think of the cartoons where someone loses it and feel bad.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Blaine man

Blaine man

I was taught that as a little kid, those Pears and Apples go out the window. The bait bags are the most numerous trash out in the State and Federal land. When I go out for Morels it is really shocking how much there is!

3. Robert Holmes

Robert Holmes

You should see it when the smelt dippers are in the UP what I hate is when they burn pallets and leave nails all over the place.

4. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I have found wear some idiot marked his trail to his tree stand by tieing bait bags from the road to the stand. Also were someone tied plastic bags to trees to there stand. Meth dump sites, and garbage just dumped in the woods. Usually make a call but never seems to help.

5. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Here’s some trash I recently found. Don’t worry, I picked it up.

F7E87592-F797-4365-A6D0-8A27C60DF63D.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    PerchPatrol and petronius like this.
  6. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

It is Common, for some to take their Trash, old shingles, used tires, couches, along you see beer cans fast food bags and cups. It has always been in the Federal Forest near me over the last 25 plus Years. So think it is their Garbage Dump...
    Similar the kids/adults on their ATV's trashing the roads!

I tried picking some of it up but once in a while others pick it up sometimes, maybe the Forest Service... Some have No Respect for our Environment!

Sad But Such It Is!!!

Newaygo1

7. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

Every spring, my kids and I (used to) pick up trash along Thompsons Harbor State Park Lakeshore - used to get a few garbage bags of different junk that floated in. The last time we did it, I took the bags of trash to a dumpster at the Presque Isle State launch and was about to throw them in, when a guy came up to me and started screaming at me in front of my 2 little boys about how the dumpster was for boaters only - really making a scene.\

It was kind of humiliating & couldn't get a word in to tell him where the garbage came from. He probably was right, but it sure took the enthusiasm out of our annual beach clean up.

The kids asked me why I didn't throw him in the dumpster.

I told them sometimes it was best to just de-escalate the situation.

Northernfisher and zzcop302 like this.
  8. WAUB-MUKWA

WAUB-MUKWA

Our volunteer groomers pull 10 to 12 hour shifts. I highly doubt it's them.

9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

I've heard the same with biodegradable waste, but after some additional thought, what about the poor critter getting whacked by a passing car while enjoying the handout?

Northernfisher likes this.
  10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Is your local club not on the DNR payroll to collect for every mile groomed? If not they should be looking into it. The guys that groom from paradise to grand marais line up for those jobs and complain when they aren't approved for grooming because of lost wages. More than once one has been fired for drinking while grooming. I have personally witnessed the groomer in the local gas station/store buying a six pack so you cant tell me it doesn't happen.

I am not bagging on the groomers they do a great job and personally I feel they should be allowed to have a few beers while sitting behind a machine at 3mph for 10 hrs. It is a boring gig.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. bigmac

bigmac

aaaaand back to the trash in the woods......

12. Blaine man

Blaine man

I grew up along near that area and there was always a ton of junk washed ashore. We would go along and find the row boats washed ashore, fill with wood and have a burning Viking fire. It is really something walking for miles upon miles of Lake Huron shoreline. We would start at Presque Isle and walk to south of the Rogers City quarry and it would take 2 1/2 days. With the new Thompson Harbor state land you have access in the middle now.

PerchPatrol likes this.
  13. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

We went out from the grand lake outlet - there always was access there. we found some cool and strange things, for sure. Lots of lures, toys etc...

14. junkman

junkman

Every year I will pick up a couple of garbage bags of empty cans just in the area I deer hunt.When I drove a pickup I would load it with scrap metal and turn it into cash during hunting season.One year I took a deer to the check station in Mio with a full load of scrap on the truck.

15. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Did you ever have the desire to move those bags so they end up someplace else?