close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Garbage in the woods....

Discussion in 'Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)' started by bigmac, Apr 10, 2018.

1. bigmac

bigmac

Wow, went to Oscoda over spring break for a week. I went riding the trails in the HNF. I was greatly Disappointed in the amount of beer cans along the snowmobile route and a few other trails, why would someone want to be in the woods and make it look like the city.....

2. U D

U D

So they are not caught with open containers. They could care less about the"woods" it's the buzz man!!!

mattawanhunter likes this.

3. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

Yeah, it isn't just the ATV/snowmobile crowd...there are dumpers who find it easier to take some old tires, dressers, appliances out to the woods and just dump it a few feet off the trail rather than take it to a landfill or dumpster. It's just easier for them than to deal with the legitimate options, which sometimes cost money.

I've turned in illegal dumpers when I catch them in the act.

I truly hope those people do get caught with open containers and get the full measure of the law.

4. Scout 2

Scout 2

Just look at the roads up here. There is a guy that goes by here once a week on his quad and he has a big box on the back picking up cans. I was talking with him last summer and he told me he usually picks up 70 .00 or more per week. He bought a new quad last fall with his money from the cans he picked up. He also works full time at the sawmill

5. fanrwing

fanrwing

You see why a lot of folks up north hate downstate snowmobilers

wyandot, swampbuck and mattawanhunter like this.
  6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

$255+ in cans just riding my bike once a week in Allegan County last summer. 17 grocery bags of recycling too. Figure by the end of this summer I'll have enough for a sweet Model 12.

Picked up two 33 gallon bags full of crap out off my ditch last week. Between the slobs that work at the farm up the road and my neighbors that can't figure out garbage bags keep your crap from exploding when it's dumped into the garbage truck...

Gamechanger likes this.
  7. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol Premium Member

We were in the Keweenaw a few years ago when it got very warm for the 1t time that year. Warm enough to melt all the snow on the side of the roads - couldn't believe the amount of cans that were uncovered by the warm temps that day. I bet we could have filled up 3 pickup truck loads.

They were gone the next day.

8. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

I would guess the lighted word had something to do with it.

9. U of M Fan

U of M Fan

What makes you think that only people from downstate do all the littering?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Well, it is a well known fact that people in Northern Michigan do not drink beer.

11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Come on guys. Use your common sense. It's not the snowmobilers that litter. It's us bait fishermen. There has to be a lake or stream near by...

12. bigmac

bigmac

it's Michigan...lakes and streams everywhere....filled with lazy peoples garbage. It's just a sad commentary on how people disrespect EVERYTHING. They go to the woods or tube the Rifle or AuSable and use it as their garbage can, toilet and ashtray...gets worse every year. I've been in Oscoda since '79, this was the worst I've seen in a long time

13. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

I stopped at a small country Party Store yesterday, the guy next to me was in a car that was all crashed up, while I was sitting in my car, he could see me, he rolled down his window and threw an empty pack of smokes and a potato chip bag into the parking lot while he was driving off!

14. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

At my new property in the upper peninsula less than a mile down the road right next to the river, people have been dumping for years, refrigerators Old stoves you name it!

I pick up litter when I see it on state or federal land, and here in the lower peninsula on my lease where my neighbors thow out their bottles and cans in trash on their own property, unbelievable!

U of M Fan likes this.