Gander Outdoor store in Saginaw

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by citybearz, Apr 18, 2018.

1. citybearz

citybearz

New Gander Outdoor store in Saginaw doing soft open on 4/19

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Alaska at Heart

Alaska at Heart

My wife and I went down to Florida to visit our daughter a couple weeks ago and noticed on the ride down I75 that Gander had changed names and apparently were planning to reopen??? Any idea what their focus will be? For the prior few years Gander Mountain was pretty worthless in my estimation.

357Maximum likes this.

3. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

They seem to like higher prices.

357Maximum likes this.
  4. 357Maximum

357Maximum

It wasn't called Gouger Mountain for no reason. :lol:

imjon likes this.
  5. petronius

petronius

Gander Mountain went bankrupt and was bought up by Marcus Lemonis. It is now part of Camping World. The stores that are opening are now named Gander Outdoors.

Here are some threads on Gander Mountain/Gander Outdoors.

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/goodbye-gander-mountain.590032/

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/...untain-in-michigan-not-to-be-effected.585531/

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/gander-outdoors.599469/

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/grand-traverse-area-2017-18.603532/

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/marquette-campworld.607664/#post-6611013

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/gander-outdoors.605074/

Downsea likes this.
  6. Brian Berg

Brian Berg Premium Member

I used to like their casual clothing line. It was priced decently and had good quality. It was MUCH cheaper than Cabelas.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Gander had lower over head, a smaller product line and carried primarily lower quality goods than Cabela's. That is why they worked on a lower gross margin than Cabela's.

It's all about cost/profit ratios.

8. Brian Berg

Like Cabelas used to be. I find it funny that many of Cabelas brand products cost more than name brands. What made them successful was decent products at a fair price. I pretty much buying anything from them except the occasional sale items.

To be truthful, I've been buying a lot from MidwayUSA. They've been carrying hunting supplies for 2 or 3 years now with good prices.

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Cabela's starting going downhill, and fast, when they went public and gave up control of the company. It's now owned by Bass Pro.

I don't like buying many things online. There are no standards in sizing. I also like to "touch" things prior to buying. When I buy online it's always things that I have bought before, so I know what I am getting.

10. Brian Berg

I'm that way when buying clothing. Its hard to tell how noise-free bow hunting clothing is without actually touching it. I usually try to buy on the large size anyways so I can layer, but I totally understand your thoughts.

When it comes to money over the care of your customers, its time to move on in my opinion. That's why I like Jays so much. Even if they can't beat online pricing, their customer service is great. If I buy from a brick and mortar store, its mostly Jays. (It helps having them right in my neighborhood too. :) )

Scout 2 likes this.
  11. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

The primary reason for decline in customer service it a large majority of customers no longer demand it. Most shop only price. Good customer service costs more that pimple faced stock people.

357Maximum likes this.
  12. Brian Berg

True, and many products are throwaway anyways. Many customers are getting more knowledgeable about maintaining the equipment themselves. I think I fall into that category. Between Google and YouTube, I can figure out how to fix just about anything these days. Even my new bow is designed to be user-adjusted. No need for a pro shop.

13. DoJigger

DoJigger Michigan Sportsman

I like the competition side, hopefully with them re opening will keep pricing in check btwn Cabelas, Dicks, and Dunhams in the same neighborhood.
    Specialty items and great service can't beat Frank's ...

14. Alaska at Heart

Alaska at Heart

I understood they went out of business.....and for good reason as the last few times I went into a Gander Mountain they were high priced with minimal staff that were quite worthless. However I did not know that Camping World had purchased the remaining inventory/name and decided to reopen. My understanding is that owner of Camping World was anti-gun???

15. MEL

MEL

^^^You can Google it and come to your own conclusions.