close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G3 Boats

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by RippinLips82, Oct 17, 2017.

1. RippinLips82

RippinLips82

I'm currently looking at a used G3 Angler V175FS with a 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha.

It looks like a clean boat, but upon reading online, the G3's built before 2010 had a potential corrosion problem with the hull.
    Also, a lot of people had said the pre-2010 boats didn't get up on plane right and sprayed the driver and passenger. Has anyone seen or heard the same things? Thanks

2. Chasin Tales

Chasin Tales

i am also looking at upgrading and saw a used G3. I really like the Yamaha 4 strokes but also saw a lot of negatives when I googled the G3's. It appeared that there was an issue with the transom wood used and the aluminum.

What I couldn't find, was whether it was all their boats or just certain designs. Would be curious to hear from some G3 owners.

I did go to their website and show 4 dealers in Michigan (based upon a two hundred mile radius of my zip code).

Didn't help you much, but am curious as well as to what the issues are.

3. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I've got a 2015 G3 Angler 185F that I bought brand new from Lakeside Motorsports in Mecosta. It's been a solid boat for the three years I've fished out of it with very few issues.

I'm not sure about other dealers, but Lakeside doesn't sell a packaged G3. Prices shown on their website are for boat/trailer only, and then you start to add on all the goodies you want. No real problem to me as I had studied before hand and knew what I was looking for. Prices on all those add-on items were very competitive and were installed for free.

Only real problem has been with the design of the livewells. One fresh water pump to fill a smaller bow livewell and a much larger rear one. If the valves are open on both at the same time the rear has a hard time filling. I have to close off the bow valve until the rear is filled and then open the bow valve to allow that one to fill. With both open, half the water just starts running out of the overflow up front. Somebody should have thought to put in two separate pumps. Also the rear livewell had trouble draining in any of the fish puked up crawdad or baitfish as they ended up plugging the drain where it makes a sharp 90* to head back to the transom. Quick fix was to mount a screen over the drain inside the well.

The only thing I thought about a used 17' was the smaller sized outboard. Current year 17' Anglers show a max for a 150hp Yamaha. That 90hp should troll down great, but might have a harder time getting up on plane and top end speed won't be fantastic. Not sure what year that boat is you're looking at, but I would suggest seeing if the seller would allow you to take it to a good marina to have it gone over first. A few bucks spent to a mechanic is cheaper than buying a problem.

4. RippinLips82

RippinLips82

Thank you for the advice. The boat I'm looking at is a 2005. I believe it is rated for a 150 as well and the boat being fitted with a 90hp didn't go unnoticed. I think you are right, a bow to stern check at a certified marina would be a great idea along with a test drive. If it can't get on plane with 3-4 people much less a full live well, I don't want this boat.

5. walleye50

walleye50

Buddy had a g3 and the hull cracked not sure of year but definitely before 2010

6. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Don't know about older G3s but I spent some time checking out a few brands this fall and I can say that the overall manufacturing seemed better with Alumacraft and Crestliner. Two examples: the paint/primer under the gunwales was very rough and rubbed off on my fingers; the dimples on the rivets were huge, like up to 2" across. Does either these things make a big difference in the life of the boat? I don't know. I'll go to some shows this winter and see if this is how they are all made or if the production standards vary a lot.

Price wise for new they were comparable with the other brands when comparably equipped, a little less when you put Yamaha's on all models. I have a dealer nearby and I really like the Yamaha's so I wanted to like the G3. I'd love to hear from some G3 owners, too. Every maker has the plusses and minuses as well as their occasional mistake. And some guys never like a boat because of the layout more than the performance or they love the layout and the performance is good enough. Really, opinions on all makes are welcome; inland lakes are 99% of my boating so stories of handling 9 footers on the Great Lakes with no problem are entertaining but not particularly useful. I'm in my mid-50s and if I buy a new boat it will probably be my last. If I go used I might buy another before age leaves me fishing out of other peoples boats.

7. Cat Power

Cat Power

Take a look at my Alumacraft 175 in the classifieds

8. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

I have a g3 2009 and I have smacked into plenty of rocks in the River . Boat does not leak and has a few dents in the hull. I like my g3 gets on plane with a 50/35 jet and 700lbs of gear/ fisherman up stream.

9. piketroller

piketroller

Yamaha bought G3 in the late 90's, but didn't really start upping the quality until the last handful of years. They don't always have every bell or whistle you can get on a top of the line Lund, Alumacraft, or Crestliner, but they are still good aluminum boats.

10. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Thanks guys, I'll be keeping them on the list.

11. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I bought my G3 1860 CCJ this past spring from Weber Marine w/ a Yamaha 65 jet, and really like the outfit so far. John was great to deal with and very accommodating when adding items to the boat. Like any big ticket items you buy there are a few things that you wish were different but you look at the over all picture for the use of the boat and adjust your "perfect boat" ideas to fit what is actually available, and this boat does what I need it to do.
    Best of luck on your searches for a new boat.

D

12. rod1291

rod1291

I have a 2004 g3 v170c 75 hp Yamaha
    Been a great boat. Only issue I’ve had was small crack in seem of gas tank. Took it out had it plastic welded and good to go. My boat is only 84 inches wide. If there is a chop on Saginaw bay, we get wet on plane. That being said I’m going to upgrade because of width not quality. I want to get 19 or 21 g3.