close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FYI fishing show in novi

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by J Sibert, Jan 12, 2018.

1. St. Clair Slayer

St. Clair Slayer

Bloody Mary's at 10 Sunday morning followed at noon by beer and jerky. All while getting my daily walk in. Hahahaha I enjoy checking out all the boats and dreaming of buying one of everything. I will get my annual supply of beads and blades from D&B. I picked up a couple of really productive patterns a couple years ago and can't remember where I got them from so hopefully I will find them at the show. It is what you make of it. And for me it gets me out talking soft water fishing in January. boo-Yaa!!!

Double d's likes this.
  2. 50incher

50incher

That's what I like, is being able to put your hand on things and seeing it in person....

Most of the shows seem to keep getting more diluted from what their supposed to be about, imo....for whatever reason's....

several years ago we stopped by the fishing show up in Aubern Hills ?....we were right off the ice, lol....and there was a booth with a guy and a kid, no signs or big advertisement's etc....he was selling a (de-hooker)....a simple alum. device that removed hooks from deep hooked panfish....all he had was a tennis ball for showing how it worked.....

I bought 2....and have none today !....they were thee best de-hooker I have ever seen....they were awesome....we have searched and searched and have not come across them since....I would of bought 10 had I known how good they really were ! lol....

I think/feel that the day there are no fishing "shows" would be sad.....I would love to see the quality go up but like said, the internet has changed everything....

will be there tomorrow....cheers....

3. jim222lansing

jim222lansing

I went Thursday and had great 1st time there.

I am sorry I did not pick up on the $4 husky jerks and not buying some bluegill jigs that I was looking at but forgot to come back to and buy like I told myself I would.
    Boat dreaming was very good, I had never seen one of those snowdog tractor thingys. I could see one sitting in my garage and doing nothing most of the time besides giving kids rides and occasional ice fishing hunting trip.
    they were cool but a demo outside to let me drive it would have been better.
    I felt I got a good deal on some harness blades @ 13 for $12 I bought all cooper (#5 & 6) ......we'll see....I got others. they were at the other end of the isle the DWF was in
    ,bought a few beads, a buck a pack from fish boned tackle, some quick change clevises
    talked with the ohio DNR gals who turned out to be from forestry, huh?
    talked to the DWF guys for too long and couldn,t find a hat that felt right on my size 8 head.

I could have spent more than the 4 hours I was there.

4. Hot Bite

Hot Bite

I worked at the Warrior Lures booth all day yesterday. It was nice as always talking about walleye trolling but, I had the guys at Warrior put together a 6 pack of my favorite colors of copper blanked spoons for Wheatly / Erieau, between this and talking with Polesetter, talking about trolling spoons for steelhead was GREATLY increased yesterday compared to years past. It was a great day ! I will be at the Warrior Lures booth today until about 12;30 and I am about 90 percent sure that I am going to hit the meet and greet .

5. Cat Power

Cat Power

I bought one of those Wheatly kits. they look good. Thank you

Hot Bite likes this.
  6. KEITH207

KEITH207

49D38602-7189-4623-8087-4AC8B3EDED49.jpeg 2EEF53D9-DEC7-43EE-8FC9-7847E3AB1F84.jpeg 3E6012E5-3326-4345-9208-6F1B2008B57B.jpeg

The best deal on Jigs at the show was at the LSCWA booth. 6 custom Jigs’s for $5, in two different styles. A 6 pac of stingers were also $5. They had bead chain keel sinkers too.

frenchriver1 likes this.
  7. The Fishman

The Fishman

I found some powder coated walleye jigs at another booth (the name escapes me) for 5 for $3.25. These were the round ball style with all the desired colors. Tight Lines !!!

8. KEITH207

KEITH207

Round ball, not custom mold, makes a difference. Round balls spin on the down stroke while jigging = missed fish.

9. jfk69

jfk69

I have a hard time envisioning how a round ball spins on the way down with a Fin S or WW acting like a rudder. Maybe it does, just hard to envision how it would do that.

wicklundrh, frenchriver1 and J Sibert like this.
  10. Hot Bite

Hot Bite

or maybe that spin triggers bites?

Jiggin Jay and J Sibert like this.
  11. iFishy

iFishy Premium Member

Completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jiggin Jay likes this.
  12. BBBYpsi

BBBYpsi

I went on Thursday & ran into a few forum members & bought a few things. Went back Sat. to hear Marck Rominac speak about Lake Erie Walleye fishing & was so crowed in the room people were standing outside of the room. So never got to see that seminar I came back for. Bought some nice hand painted Bandits from Domkas & a bigger net for chasing steelhead's & Kings for lake Michigan if I get there again this year. Lost 5 or 6 of those Kings at the boat the one time I went last year because my net was to small. Also bought a really nice downrigger from Traxstech.

13. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

When I owned fish sniper tackle, I used to get this question all the time. You had the ones that thought jigs like a minnow jig, ultra mold jig, shad head jig, or other, would stop (spinning) in the water and were convinced that round ball jigs would spin. It is hard to explain hydrodynamics (think aerodynamics but in water).

Basically, a kite in the air does some pretty cool stuff. Put a tail on it and it straightens out. Same things happen with a jig in water. Yes, the longer profile of an ultra or minnow jig might make it "cut" the water better, but, add a tail to a jig (regardless of whether it is a minnow profile or a round ball) and it straightens out in the water.

The key to a hydrodynamic jig is not to ensure it doesn't spin, but it allows it to "cut" the water better. In essence, it allows a 3/4oz jig to fish more like a 1/2oz jig due to less resistance. I'll see if I can find the underwater video we did when testing this theory/myth. Basically, we didn't get round ball jigs to spin in the Detroit river when coupled with a minnow, Fin S, or worm!

jfk69 and mfs686 like this.
  14. 50incher

50incher

I kinda buy that, but not 100%....don't buy a round jig spinning....not picking on any ideas but weight to me is just weight....I'm sure things add into the equation,....line drag and superbraid, etc. etc....but when your supposedly at best slipping along with the current, how much does any of that matter ??....

I have been handed my hat more than once and learned every time !....lol....there is a "sense/feel"....that will put fish in the boat....I just don't think any custom jig is gonna make the difference....tooooo many other things to pay attention to, not saying small things don't matter, just that the overall is other places...if that makes any sense ? :)....cheers....

Jusbelieve likes this.
  15. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Couldn't agree more 50inch. Although I made and sold 10s of thousands of custom designer jigs each year, I only fish round ball. In my testing, the sleek designs felt like less resistance on the up stroke. Not really less weight (if that makes sense). Actually had to fish them with a different cadence.

In the end, it is what the guy is confident with. Some only fish lead, some only fish antifreeze, some only use a WW worm. I will say that based on the resistance, some guys are better off with one style over another because of their jigging style.

Jusbelieve likes this.