close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FYI fishing show in novi

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by J Sibert, Jan 12, 2018.

1. J Sibert

J Sibert

2. marty59

marty59

Going this afternoon. I feel my wallet getting lighter now.

Marty

J Sibert likes this.

3. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Yup, its going to present a great opertunety to get rid of all that old dirty wrinkled money that's taking up space in there! :lol:

4. Mags

Mags

Was gonna head out there this morning and beat the usual weekend crowds, but with roads icing up and such, think I'll have to pass on taking any driving chances today. Maybe tomorrow if I feel motivated enough.

5. J Sibert

J Sibert

I’ll be there tmrw at 11 - first stop - beer wagon lol. Ya know - to deal w the crowd and all.

6. Gradyfish

Gradyfish

I went yesterday, it might just be me but, I seemed to be a little lighter on serious fishing displays compared to previous years. They had quite a few booths that were not even fishing related. The boat display area seemed bigger than previous years. With that being said, it was still worth going, after all it is January in MI. I’ll be curious to see everyone else’s opinion on the show.

Jusbelieve, jstfish48162 and J Sibert like this.
  7. Jiggin Jay

Jiggin Jay

Agreed 100% very light on fishing booths, I’ll re-share below my opinion from my visit tonight...

Repost: Got home from the fishing “show” around 7pm. Pretty much the exact same as the previous 4 times I’ve gone. They really need to revamp it and change it up a bit.

I did look around at some of the prices for jigs, stingers, rods.
    From what I could tell, prices are THE EXACT SAME as if you went to their store fronts. Couldn’t believe the prices I came across for stinger hooks. The average was $3.99 for a 3 pack... are they serious?

I did notice that Domka Outdoors (Monroe, MI) had the fairest prices for jigs, stingers and fin-S/WW’s. Everyone else was normal prices, if not raised a hair.

I think I’m done attending for a while, at least until they change things up, get better vendors and less “wallside windows, gutter salesman, and dog hair remover sales”

I did have a good laugh though, as we were walking around we walked by the seminar stage and there was Lance “the salesman” Valentine doing the exact same routine he’s done the past few times I’ve been. Telling people how there’s only 1 way to hold your rod properly while jigging and buy his products that are the best for the DR and TC that are conveniently located right off stage.

For someone that hasn’t been before, it’s still worth a go. But if you’ve been more than twice the past 5-7 years, I wouldn’t recommend going. It’s the exact same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Seems like as a kid when I went to the flint steal headers show and the one at Cobo hall. Those shows had wall to wall of fishing tackle, charters, or taxidermy. Now it’s just wierd stuff and like has been said just retail on the booths that do have tackle. I went to both the outdoor and fishing shows at birch run and was disappointed last year.

Maybe with the internet it has made it so the tackle manufacturers and shops not have to do the shows? I guess a sign of the times.

Downsea likes this.
  9. marty59

marty59

Have to agree with the above show comments. I spent a lot of time looking at the boats. Then went and bought a lottery ticket. Everything I liked cost 1.5 time the cost of my first house!!! It was good to be able to do side by side comparison. I always like to hear the boat salesman pitch 'our boat is better then the rest because........'

Marty

50incher and J Sibert like this.
  10. J Sibert

J Sibert

That’s where I started shopping for my boat last year. Not true. Started at the metro beach outdoors show last fall. Don’t waste your time if you’re looking for a fishing boat. All pleasure craft. Next stop was the outdoors show and finally pulled the trigger at cobo the boat show.

I agree - the shows are great places to shop and buy boats. The mfg reps are always there too so you can really beat em up for all kinds of extras and discounts. Can’t beat it for boat shopping.

Honestly - after hearing the above and fighting a cold back - gonna pass on the show this year. Appreciate the honest observations.

Stay warm and healthy -
    Jim

Gradyfish and Jiggin Jay like this.
  11. BigJoeMoose

BigJoeMoose

Agree to most comments, however, they had all the custom warrior lures for 10 bucks on any lure type, that was a solid deal to me. Also franks had dhj12 for 4.00, again very solid price in my book.

kisherfisher likes this.
  12. Bruce William

Bruce William Premium Member

Went on Thursday, Zona was great. Picked up several smallmouth tips. Stocked up on beads at D&B Fishing. Picked up 600 yards of Sunline to respool. Added a couple Silver Streaks and Warrier Elite UV flutter spoons for Wheatley. Back Sunday for the Salmon clinic. Good show.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. Jiggin Jay

Jiggin Jay

Must have missed the ddhj at franks . That is a good fair deal

14. Zib

Zib

I was surprised to see Thorne Brothers at the show. It was nice to have a dealer at the show selling musky gear but selling them at Cabela's prices was no deal. Other than some crappy food, I didn't buy anything at the show.

Jiggin Jay likes this.
  15. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

I use it as a time to see some new products (maybe), and to put my hands on a few things just to see if I might like it. I did see a few deals but it depends on what you are looking to find.

For the most part, I came, I saw, I left. I got my fill of people, and walked away empty handed.