FUR MARKET REPORT

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by furandhides, May 5, 2017.

1. furandhides

furandhides Premium Member

Been another long season here. Just hauled the last of 3 loads into the freezer plant. If it wasn't for having a state of the art, food grade, humidity controlled facility a few miles down the road, we wouldn't be in business. Maybe the luckiest fur dealer in the country. Most guys are forced to sell every season. That's why no one 's left. Bought a lot of fur this year. Our volume was way up. Was out to be No.1 , and I believe we did it. Thanks guys. Fur buyers never retire, they just die, and then they're gone. Looking forward to next season. Glad this ones over. Was actually still scraping and putting up coon, a few days ago. Hunting mushrooms starting tomorrow, rain or shine, just like the skin trade.

2. furandhides

Posted on Kopenhagens website. Auction and private treaty sales conclude with a 77% clearance and prices off 5% from the March sale.

3. furandhides

Day 2 at NAFA. Yesterdays sale began with the Timberwolf and ended with oppossum. All the "oddball stuff". I went through the wolf catalog and I felt that they were not especially good. The wolverine were very strong. The rest of the stuff was off. Today was the big brown mink sale. Close to million offered. Official report males 60% sold at easier prices than Kopenhagen. Females fared better selling 82% at firm prices. There was no good news here. Some brought a $10 bill. Ranch Foxes were poor. Glad that I didn't own any wild red fox. Looked like a disaster, with the greys a close second.

4. furandhides

COYOTES: Looked like a barn burner today. The dawgs were HOT. The one bright spot in the sale, so far, for Mi. trappers. I'm not a coyote guy, but $$ seemed VERY strong. Anyone with results, feel free to share.

5. furandhides

Big day today. Coons and beaver. Important animals to Mi. trappers. See how it goes. I believe that beaver will continue at historical lows. The coon, you wonder where they keep coming from. Some of this stuff has probably seen the auction block several times. Keeps getting shuffled in and out of the cooler. Held by someone still hoping for a miracle, or waiting to perhaps make a dime on someones misfortune. Good luck there. Several weeks ago, NAFA issued a press release concerning recent PT sales of coon to China, following workshops there. For our type coon, an $18 basis on 3X-4X Selects. Little to brag about there. LOL

Watersmt likes this.
  6. Patrickr

Patrickr

Coyote averages are still below the costs of production for the majority of MI coyote producers. No bright spot there. But even with these sales results will this market hold through next season? This past season we were blessed that the guys who produce the heavies that are in demand from MT, ND, and up into Canada, were buried in snow beginning in the early part of harvest season. IF this market holds and they have an open dry fall and early winter they will out produce what the market needs.

furandhides and klinkler like this.
  7. furandhides

The coon sale was absolutely horrible. I don't believe that anyone thought that it would be that bad. Taking a break. Beaver next. Hang on for tomorrow= mink, rats, and otter. I'm afraid that I can see it coming.

klinkler likes this.
  8. klinkler

klinkler

Roger,thanks for the updates as grim as they are.

wicklundrh likes this.
  9. Patrickr

Patrickr

Roger, no matter how grim I appreciate your assessment of the situation. I am not holding my breath on today's mink, rats and otter sale. Too many ranch brown mink on the market.

wicklundrh likes this.
  10. furandhides

Never wanted, nor do I like, doing the work of the Grim Reaper. Always hoping for good news, however, here we go again. The $$ on the important water animals, have lost ground since last season. Slightly over 299,000 muskrats sold 78% at a reported $3.51 ave. 48 rats were in the top lot, which brought $12.25 ea.. 2096 rats were in the next lots @ $7. 1625 next brought $5. Prices then dropped to $4.50 and down to .50. Appears that the real ave. is probably about $3. I took the time to listen to the wild fur portion of the sale yesterday, in order to get a better feel of the auction floor. The rat sale was unusual, to say the least. Actually weird. Most of the sale seemed to revolve around the action of one Chinese woman, with people fooling with her around the edges. She was making some mistakes, and there was some taking advantage of her vulnerability. If it wasn't for her, $$ would have been lower, and may not have sold at all. Doesn't appear to be a firm footing for any market. About what was expected. Otter had much interest, but pretty much in the $25 range. Anything more neglected. Beaver remain at hatter levels, other than a handful at better $$. Only 40% of the wild mink sold. The $14.16 ave. reflecting the best of the males, with the bulk of the goods unsold. Females were 100% unsold in the Central section. True ave. maybe $8-9, with all goods sold. So there you go. Prices on all items will be cheaper next season. So much for recovery.

11. otterc

otterc

Trapping is still the best hobby in the world where, if done wisely, you can still make a few bucks or at least break even. Having trapped for 40 years and not missing one year, I have learned that when prices are higher you trap hard during vacation and weekends. When prices are down you simply run the line on the way to work. There is nothing like that smell of fur drying in the fur shed. Hopefully, I will be able to do it until I can no longer get around.

someone11 likes this.
  12. Patrickr

Patrickr

Roger, thanks for your honest appraisal of the auction and our current market condition. I agree wholeheartedly with what you have written.

I have a quick question for you; Do you remember the sizes of the muskrats in those top three lots you price quoted?

wicklundrh likes this.
  13. Patrickr

Patrickr

Otterc, I also agree with your sentiments about trapping. As commercial endeavors go, trapping can be the best hobby or profession in the world depending on how an individual chooses to operate. If conducted in a business manner it can prove to be both financially rewarding/profitable as well as physically and mentally enriching - even in a down market.

I disagree with your statement about trapping harder on vacation and weekends when prices are higher and when prices are lower you just run them on your way to work or home. A highly motivated trapper traps harder every year regardless of the prices. And the motivated trapper also works smarter in addition to harder. A smart trapper would figure out how to maximize his vacation time while trapping so it lengthens his available days of trapping. Plus he or she would sharpen their pencil and figure ways in which to reduce their operating costs and fixed overhead so it is easier to increase your profit potential. This stuff is so easy a kindergartner could do it and varies from trapper to trapper. One last thought; A lot of money is either lost or made in the fur shed and in how you market your furs.

14. furandhides

Those were the first 4 lots in the sale. XX-XXXL

15. furandhides

Almost forgot about the FHA sale in North Bay next week. I believe that the die has been cast. Going second usually only works well in a high demand arena. We're not seeing that for sure. For anyone with rats for sale next week, better hope that the Chinese lady is sticking around. Things could get ugly.