FUR MARKET REPORT

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by furandhides, May 5, 2017.

1. furandhides

furandhides Premium Member

Kopenhagen concluded their 10 day sale on Tues.. Results were mediocre in terms of price advances that could affect wild fur $$. Just under 1 million brown females alone. Way too many. Optimism is low for successes on most articles on the upcoming NAFA and FHA sales. A major retreat in oil prices and geopolitical uncertainty add to the downward pressure on the market. The big "wait till the end of season to sell" mentality by the major auction houses, appears to have been a bad call.

2. furandhides

Day 1 of the NAFA sale. Heavy coyotes did well as was expected. Red Fox sold poorly with ave. in the teens. Gray Fox were bought back. The rest of the offering yesterday consisted of the misc. furs. More wild fur on Wed..

3. furandhides

The apparent lack of any interest in Gray Fox at the sale=there will be little interest in our type of coon. I'm afraid that the coon market is dead. The crash came on 3 years ago. We have made no progress on this item. The coon hunter here, certainly has become an endangered species. Pretty much a discontinued item going forward.

4. furandhides

Looks like another tough season here in Mi. The coon, with the rat, IS the fur business in Mi.. I remember being at Crandalls in Mancelona during the boom. We bought $50,000 coon in the week prior to gun deer opener. If you bought fur, the success of your season was determined by Thanksgiving. I don't believe that I've had more than a call or two in the past few years from a coon hunter. Times have really changed. I've been paying $4-5 ave. on the 300-400 coon that I've bought each of the past several seasons. Shipped to international sales, lose 10-15%. I can honestly say that I am the highest market. Had 379 coon on last auction, sold 116 for exactly a $5 ave. before comm.. All were XXX and XXL, cept for 1 XL A color. That was the GOOD coon sale at FHA. There were a couple trappers at the Houghton Lake sale that had about 3 dozen green coon, no dinks, brought $2. Buying green coon now is like getting the coon and skinning for free, and giving the guys a little $$ to help with gas. With Willy Stephens dead, is anyone still buying carcass coon?

5. micooner

micooner

Nope and what a depressing but true observation.

6. gilgetter

gilgetter

Are willies boy still buying

7. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Willy passed away? Darn it. I take a year off and the next thing you know????

Last time I chatted with Willy, he was sitting on thousands of coon from a few years back. He bought truck loads when the market was up around 15 bucks for a good 18 to 20 pounder. Unfortunately, that year tanked at sales and he was sitting on a bunch. The next year, he doubled down hoping to purchase just as many at 4 or 5 bucks in the hopes to break even with the overall sales average. It didn't work out.

I'll have to check in and report back. He isn't far from my place.

Thanks FurandHides for the news. Good or bad, at least you reported what you see. The outlook sure looks grim.

The bad thing is that I continue to get calls from farmers asking to get rid of nuiscance coons. It is hard to tell them no but, when the numbers work out, you are actually paying them to get rid of problem. We are going to have a population issue on our hands within a few years if this keeps up.

I enjoy to trap and don't necessarily do it for the money. I love to pass on the traditions to my daughter but... the lessons now will have to be about population control. They always were geared that way in the past however, we had an outlet for the animals we took. It is always hard to control populations and then simply dispose of the animal. Just seems like such a waste.

8. furandhides

I'd heard second hand that the boys were going to continue to buy some deer and beefhides, but were out of the fur end. If anyone should go into the Mi. Furbuyers Hall of Fame, ought to be Willy. He was a real character. Hadn't seen him in a number of years. Maybe 4 years ago, when it looked like fur was hot again, he showed up at the convention in Evart. Someone grabbed me from behind in a bear hug, it was Willy. He was a great guy. We had some fun times together at the HBC sales in Toronto, been a few years ago.

wicklundrh likes this.
  9. furandhides

Coon sale over. Nothing changed. I'm afraid that the guys that decided to ship their rats are going to hopefully no sale, or else fire sale like last season. Having a very bad feeling about the rats. Hopefully, I'm wrong. We will see on Friday.

10. Patrickr

Patrickr

I've enjoyed your analysis of the current market conditions and auction results thus far. I am hopeful that the rat prices and sale percentages are profitable but I doubt it at this time. I agree this is a very small narrowly defined market for select prime goods. Unfortunately most of variables, as you have pointed out, are out of the trapper's control. It takes a really sharp pencil and great time and line management skills to make a small profit at fur trapping today. This when trappers need to learn to trap as if it were a part time business. The numbers don't lie and they can make you a better trapper. Just my opinion.

11. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

Willy taught me quite a few things over the years. Was always eagar to share. Especially because he knew that I did not come off as a "no it all" and was willing to take advice.

I would usually stop by once a week with my catch. I would deep freeze them in two freezers in my barn. We would always do a bet on one of my coon catches. He would lift it and guess the weight. I would then guess my weight. Whoever was closer got a dollar from the other guy! It took him 5 times of losing to figure out that I weighted all my coons before I brought them to him!!!! I also dropped off several deer hides to him over the years. I managed a few properties and always helped the guys out buy skinning their deer. Willie loved the way I skinned, rolled, and froze my hides. After getting to know me, when he asked small, medium, large, or XL, he knew he could trust me!

He had a coon missing a tail that was behind the counter. He was proud of that coon. He told me the story one day. Jeff Daniels was in Chelsea doing a version of "Escanaba in Da Moonlight". For whatever reason, they needed a racoon tail. The theater called Willy. He brought it over and they gave him and his wife tickets to the show!!!

12. Patrickr

Patrickr

I don't know who Willie is, but I sure miss hanging out at Jack Van Hoose's fur shed and selling my fur to him and his son Steve. Great guys and their absence has left a void in this area.They were real good at helping the new and young trappers out.

rollin stone likes this.
  13. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I have been watching the reports and the nafa sale. I have 58 skins mostly rats in the auction. We had 2 coons in the auction. Both were large. One was graded select with clr 3. The other was SDA clr 3. Their lots didn't sell Wednesday but I looked today and they sold at private treaty for $6.... $3 avg.

I know it seems really stupid to get excited about $3 coons but I was just amazed they actually sold and it wasn't 50 cents. To be honest the one coon I thought for sure would be thrown away. I only skinned and fleshed it for the practice.

14. furandhides

Sale over. Otter, better than last season, nothing great. Beaver, never seen it this bad. Rats didn't sell at the auction, should move private treaty?? or they will hold. Mink, couple dollars over what was expected. Looks like a tough deal for most shippers in our section. Unless you weren't expecting much if anything

15. furandhides

Anybody get the $6-7 ave. on their rats ??