Fur bearers license for 2018 stamped 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by 270 Hunter, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 270 Hunter

270 Hunter

I buy all my licenses for the year at the same time. They are all connected together. Bought them from field and stream store. I noticed a day or two later the last tag, ( fur B. ) was stamped 2017 not like all the others connected to it saying 2018? I went back to store and told them I already had a 2017 f.b. lic and wanted my money back ( $15 ) or the correct license. They told me it was still good and I could not exchange it for a 2018 F.B lic. Then they told me they could not cancel it. I assume thats because its expired.
    I know they cant be right. I dont know why the 2018 license doesnt show up for sale? I told them they must be making a mistake. They assured me not. So when I get in trouble with the dnr next fur season do I just show them my 2017 license with my April 2018 reciept for its purchase and tell them f&S said its all ok or is f & S store full of people who dont know the licensing. Two trips to store with no results and a waste of my time.... May have lost a customer.....

2. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

That is just why I go to a small sports shop to get my licenses.

I was in a Meijer store one time and listened to a clerk totally screw up what the regs. were for a 234 turkey tag. he said that the tag was only good for hunting on private land all over the state. I pointed to the big poster on turkey hunting behind the counter. I made him read the rules for the 234 hunt out loud twice so he knew what the rules were and walked off. The guy that was wanting to buy a 234 tag caught up with me and thanked me for straightening the clerk out.

Sparky23 likes this.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

They changed the rule last year. The fur harvester license now extends until the end of April instead of March 31 like it used to. So if you buy it in April you are buying 2017 license. They did this to allow beaver trappers to finish their trapping season which extended into April without buying a new license April 1. It was also a pain to buy your license in April when otter tags and bobcat tags etc... were never available. You had to make sure you went back again later in the year to get those. Now you can just buy your license later when you can get them at once.

I am wondering if you look back and see if the license you had before actually said 2016 and not 2017? I say that because it is the second year that it has been this way . You may not have noticed last year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. 270 Hunter

270 Hunter

must have bought them later on in the year than the 2018s.(may or June last year.)
    I checked, it is a 2017 fb I already have from last year's license purchases. Not sure what happened at store.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. Patrickr

Patrickr

When I went to purchase all my licenses this year at my local Meijer's store they told me I couldn't purchase the 2018 Fur Harvester's license and kill tags until early May as the 2017 license and applicable tags were good until the end of April.

Always make sure you know what you are purchasing as the store clerks generally don't.

wicklundrh and FREEPOP like this.