Fuel Oil Mix for Two Strokes

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Swamp Boss, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Swamp Boss

Swamp Boss

Seems like I never remember the fuel oil mix on my outboards. I began marking up the apprpriate mixes with non erasable sharpie right on the fuel can.

2. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Not sure what year your outboards are or what ratio your mixing at but with todays oils, especially synthetic blends or 100% synthetic oils most all use either a 40:1 or 50:1 mix/ratio.

Myself I run every two stroke engine I own that needs premix at 45:1 or 3.0 oz of oil per gallon of gas. After 20+ years of this practice I've never had a engine failure or plug foul resulting from it.

To save money I buy my oil by the gallon, In the past I've used either Klotz techniplate, Klotz super techniplate. In my sleds that have oil injection I use Yamaha Yamalube, I am going to be looking at trying Mystik (Citgo) Sea and Snow once I start running low on Yamalube.

45: 1 is pretty easy math too! In most cases 40:1 is 3.2 oz per gallon, 50:1 is 2.6, add the two together is 5.8, divide by 2 = 2.9, I go with 3.0 as I know I don't always get the last drop out of my measuring device. ;)

3. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

I use the recommended 1 quart to a six gallon outboard tank for my 25 johnny and it seems to be just fine... To the extent possible I purchase the johnny oil.

I have one gas can for straight gas for lawnmower and a smaller one for pre-mix for chainsaw, leaf blower, edger. Use the two cycle mini oil container for each gallon of non-mower gas mix, and now I use only non-ethanol fuel in all my motors....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  4. alex-v

alex-v

You mean one pint, right?

One thing I do is mark the plastic gas cans that are used for 2-cycle mix. I mark them by wrapping black plastic tape around the hand hold on the handle area. If the can does not have the tape then it does not go near any of the 2-cycle engines when fill-up time comes.

Blueump likes this.
  5. DFJISH

DFJISH

I've been told that it is really important to use ethanol-free gas in some 2 cycle engines. I had to do some research but found a filling station(LOL) that sells it. I make the 20 mile trip as necessary to buy it.

6. lasec17

lasec17

If these are smaller how motors that are used primarily for low speed trolling I run a separate tank at 80 to 1. You only need to run the lower mixes, 40 50 to 1, when the engine is at wide open throttle or close.

7. frenchriver1

Station just north of East Tawas is selling non ethanol fuel now, somewhat pricey...

8. wintrrun

wintrrun Banned

Its always about a dollar +/- more than mid grade gasoline.
    I just had a 250 gallon tank filled with 90 octane rec gas for 3.17 a gallon.
    Cheapest I have been able to get it for in a very long time.

9. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Not true. I use the same pump gas in all my engines with absolutely no problems. Car, boats,mowers,ATV, 2 cycle (weed whips, blowers,chainsaws, ice auger, snow blowers........) Sometimes I over winterover with stabilizer but not always.

10. alex-v

alex-v

What Mike says. The same gas for the gas station as goes into the car. Use it for all my lawn equipment and snow equipment. If you are worried about the ethanol there are additives for this.

Ethanol should only be a problem in really old equipment, like something made before 2000 or if the gas will be stored for several months during high humidity weather. Several other problems with ethanol but they can be taken care of with the treatment which has to be a lot cheaper than the extra it costs for the other gas plus the extra money & time spent driving to that gas station.

20 miles one way is a 40 mile trip and you figure out what that costs in wear and tear plus the gas to run the truck.

11. ready2fish

ready2fish

I use empty water bottles and measure out oil per gallon mix and mark a line around the bottle, that way I don't have to haul around my gallon jug of oil and measuring cup now all i have to do is pour out as needed and i have a perfect mix

12. alex-v

alex-v

That was one of my methods for years. I would have the oil pre-measured and keep the bottles handy for the outboard or for work I kept bottles in the trailer for the equipment gas.

Now I have several small pint size plastic bottles meant just for that purpose. The bottles already have the lines on the side in ounces and in metric equivalent. They originally were outboard oil containers.

I would hazard a guess that similar bottles are available new at many outboard and marine supply stores. Also you could get one by buying a pint of oil. Some quarts of motor oil have the marks on the side.

13. frenchriver1

Consider yourself lucky. I have had to have the fuel lines replaced, carb work on a leaf blower, mower, and a chainsaw, and the repair dude pointed out a line of equipment he has in his shop waiting for remedial work because of ethanol gas use.

14. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Don't believe in "luck". Just maybe me and Alex and many more just know how to store and use it. Also could be lots of other factors causing breakdowns and gets blamed on ethanol.

15. yellowbelly80

yellowbelly80

i run star-tron or marine stabil in every tank on all my gas motors but the cars and trucks,no issues at all