Frustrated

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by michiganhunter2001, May 13, 2018.

1. michiganhunter2001

michiganhunter2001

I'm a 17 y/o novice turkey hunter and yesterday was my first outing alone. I did everything i could think of, set up my blind the night before, was in my blind at 4:45, and was hunting a nice field that my uncle owns. I called in a nice tom from around 300 yards away to about 50 yards, but I just couldn't get him to come in the next 10 or 15 yards. Just about want to throw my calls in the woods at the moment, so frustrating!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Welcome to the addiction.. Pop two xanax call me in the morning lol

3. backstrap bill

backstrap bill

itchn2fish and Gobblerman like this.
  4. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Keep at em bro. Maybe try a different call to sound like a different hen. sometimes they respond to clear & crisp sometimes raspy

Also make sure your completely covered any light colored skin will be contrasting against the spring green .

Good luck post em up when you shoot em!

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. old graybeard

old graybeard

Slow and easy Grasshopper :) Good things take time and practice.

6. birdhntr

birdhntr

If you have a decoy out maybe adding a strutted May finish him out.Sometimes no decoy works well.Or do what I do and set up outside the blind 50 yards away and don't move.Turkey's get decoy and blind why so to speak.I've seen them go around and avoid blinds on numerous occasions.

TriggerDiscipline and itchn2fish like this.
  7. Just Lucky

Just Lucky

That's what makes turkey hunting so much fun...every outing is different! I'd say you did pretty darn well for the first time out by bringing the tom in 250 yards. Now you have to work on the last 25 yards. If what you're doing isn't working, try something different...including being silent or more excited calling. But don't be afraid of making a mistake. Close encounters of the turkey kind are what I pay my money for....they are the best! Good luck, be patient and enjoy the rush!

8. fanrwing

fanrwing

Keep at it, that’s why it’s called hunting not shooting.
    Try what bird said above, get out of the blind. If you can get close to where he hung up, set up like you did before but you be near where he hung up. As soon as he answers your call keep quiet.
    Or try no decoy or set the decoy behind you.

9. itchn2fish

itchn2fish

Yes. Keep @ it. Never say never.....go & get 'em.

Sprytle likes this.
  10. retired dundo

retired dundo

I actually think it’s kind of a bummer when I get one first day out.It seems better when you have 3or4 days of seeing turkeys but not getting a shot.You have fun of the hunt and than when you finally get one you appreciate it a lot more

11. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Lol me in may
    Drab shirt, green wranglers and sandals

9204.jpeg

d_rek, buck11pt24, itchn2fish and 4 others like this.
  12. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Lol Pro Status

grousebaby and itchn2fish like this.
  13. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

It truly is movement imo. Ray eye kills his Hawaii birds in one of them hawaii shirts florescent blue. Think about if a turkey ran from anything that looked out of place, they would never quit running.

Ok so ol timers used to say they could see you blink, I thought b.s. So opening day with girlfriend, whom is as fine a turkey Hunter you'll see, has a hen come up 5 feet, gobblers at 40 yards. She said got in a stare off, her eyes are watering, she can't take it anymore after 5 minutes blinks, putt putt putt, instantly.

This is hilarious as she was telling the story she goes this is how that &#-&## was looking at me out of the corner her eye. IMG_20180507_101443704.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  14. Sewey

Sewey

I'd call that a successful hunt! Like others have said, keep at it. Just enjoy your time in the woods and the experiences you had with the animal you're pursuing. You'll learn something every time you go out, take those learning's and try new things.

What'd I'd give to be 17 again and just starting my adult hunting career. You've got plenty of time and sounds like you're on the right path. Have fun!!

15. Highball28

Highball28

May not have done anything wrong. My strategy is I'll call at a bird until they see and are clearly coming to the decoy. Then shut up. If they hang up I hit the call again to keep em interested.

Just enjoy hunting. No need to be frustrated, your time will come.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk