From a Coast Guardsman

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by AnonymousUSCG, Apr 19, 2020.

1. 55ducker

55ducker

I know this has been kicked around quite a bit. First off, I am in no way defending the order as reasonable or an effective means to resolve this covid-19 crisis particularly the no boating part. I simply want to point out how the order prohibits motorboating. The order simply is you cannot leave your home to do any activity except those listed. The fact that motorboating is not listed on the order is exactly why you cant leave your house to do it. Kayaking and canoeing are listed as permitted physical activities and are therefore exceptions to the stay at home order. Once again, I'm not taking a pro or con stance or a position on the constitutionality of the order, simply pointing out why the order as written prohibits you being on the water on your boat. Thanks to the USCG member for your thoughts and service.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

billfer and Hollada like this.
  2. Hollada

Hollada

Wow! A voice of reason. Hopefully this ends soon. I’ve seen a few posts indicating she’s going to allow “small motorized watercraft”. Let’s hope if she does, it’s not that vague.

3. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Then explain why it's still legal to ride the ORV trails/routes? The DNR website still says it's legal to go ride the trails and a lot of people are. The trailheads are full of trucks and trailers. My SxS uses more gas than my 50 hp Merc.

KGDPD likes this.
  4. Hollada

Hollada

Some idiot in the governors staff probably rode an atv and worked up a sweat and considers it a physical activity.

iFishy and MossyHorns like this.
  5. michigansnorkeler

michigansnorkeler

The order simply is you cannot leave your home to do any activity except those listed.

I'm on a small lake with the boat already in the water. I don't "leave home" as much as walk out to the dock. My gut says we won't get a ticket and even if we did it would not stand. My WIFE (who I happen to listen to ;) says we will abide by the rule. But if the WEATHER changes....all bets are off.

jimbobway and Petronius like this.
  6. wolf76

wolf76

You might want to read the EO again. It says "activity includes" canoeing, etc - it doesn't say limited to canoeing, etc.

The word "includes" is very different than "limited to" or "only".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  7. FabricatorBill

FabricatorBill

I looked up and read executive order 2020-42. I did not read the above statement under that order. I did however read that statement under theQ&A section on the michigan.gov website. I would think if motorboating was against the law it would be mentioned in the EO, not in a q&a conversation.

Walley Gordo likes this.
  8. 55ducker

55ducker

That's a great question. These are unprecedented times and laws/orders that are written vague get interpreted differently by different agencies/entities and eventually get settled in the court system. Remember, I wasn't taking sides just trying to point out why I'm my humble opinion the order prohibits boating. I've been in law enforcement for over 30 years and have never experienced a crisis of this magnitude. Those trying to manage this from a law enforcement perspective are doing the best that they can, but are handling something that none of us have experienced before. Hopefully common sense prevails soon and I can join you all out on the water without question as to the legality of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

hoffie1 and Milosh like this.
  9. fsamie1

fsamie1 Premium Member

There is no difference in launching your kayak going fishing and launching your motorized boat going fishing except former is dumb in Detroit river. She never said that and DNR should stop making up laws. DNR should watch the boat launches and give tickets for people not in the same household rather than watching marinas and sending people back like Cap. Nick.

10. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

If that was the case, then why does the DNR embrace ORV riding with open arms? The DNR and Sherrif are out patrolling the trails checking for stickers, but not any enforcement in regards to the EO.

KGDPD likes this.
  11. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

The latest EO was so poorly written that there is no way a ticket for motorboating would hold up in court. She needs to be asked about the wording during her next interview.

12. wingster51

wingster51

the order talks about social distancing . that can be done by two non household members in an 18 foot boat.

13. bheary

bheary

That was most likely done on purpose. Lawyers wrote the orders off of the govenors ideas.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

14. bheary

bheary

He never said that they were enforcing a state or county order. However, if they were to be deputized by the Sheriff that would be a different set of circumstances.
    The CG only mimics the DoD and their regulations with rank and discipline. Sometimes pay (pun intended)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

15. Hollada

Hollada

this part?

“1) Yes, it’s true; we can not enforce this state order because we are Federal. BUT, we will ask if you know about the order and inform you it’s a $1,000 fine (as we’ve been told by DNR.) if you do not seem to care about what we told you we WILL give DNR your boat numbers, location, and the marina you launched out of. So far everyone we’ve called in about DNR as come out ASAP.”

bheary likes this.