Fresh Michigan grown hops?

Discussion in 'Michigan Micro Brewery forum' started by ibthetrout, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

My sis-n-law grew 3 varieties of hops this year. She doesn't even brew her own beer. She says it just sounded interesting and wanted to see if she could grown them. So Last weekend I went over and help pick the hops and put them on my rack for drying. The varieties she grew were Chinook, Brewers Golden, and Cascade. I brewed a lot of batches way back when, and still have all of my equipment so I am going back into production. I recall using Cascade hops in a lot of my brews so that's the one I plan to use for a porter I want to make. She likes IPAs. Does anyone have any suggestions about which of the 3 varieties might work best for an IPA? Any tips or suggestions on using fresh grown hops?

BVW likes this.
  2. brewster

brewster

The problem with using homegrown hops is that you don't know the bittering value, that said if you're doing an IPA you can throw a lot of hops at it without getting too bitter for the style.

Brewers gold is mostly a bittering hop approximately 8.5%.
    Cascade is good for bittering, flavor and aroma, approximately 5.5%.
    Chinook is pretty much only bittering, approximately 13%.

Here is a typical recipe for those hops.
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/383694/chinook-cascade-ipa

Hope this helps. If you want any more info, let me know. Have fun brewing. Check out my brewery and give me some feedback. I posted some picks in the sound off section.

3. brewster

brewster

I thought I hit reply but, must not have. This is just to let you know I replied.