close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fred Trost & Jim Bedford, Winter Steelheading

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by PunyTrout, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Fishndude

Fishndude

Nope. Bedford like a graphite rod about 9 - 9.5 feet long, lined with 8# - 10# line. He literally covers the water with casts, and will work miles of water in a day. Always with spinners.

I met Dick Swan a number of times, and we discussed Steelhead fishing plenty. I have never been a fan of ultra-light tackle for Steelhead, but that was his thing. To each their own.

Benzie Rover likes this.
  2. concentroutin

concentroutin

Hey Black Ghost, those Phoebe spoons are killer on stocked trout ponds/lakes, especially with an erratic retrieve. I usually do better with the silver/blue, but gold has worked well too.

Black Ghost likes this.

3. Black Ghost

Black Ghost

I will have to pick some up online. Yes flutter them with an erratic retrieve. Cannot find them at local stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

concentroutin likes this.
  4. smokepole

smokepole

I have a couple similar stories about him.
    He may be knowledgeable but he is a top notch assshat!

5. bheary

bheary

He's a State fan, what do you expect lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OH-YEAH!!! and Benzie Rover like this.
  6. Benzie Rover

Benzie Rover

I too was never a fan of having to wait 15 minutes for Dick or one of his buddies to land a fish on 2lb while it ran downstream 200 yrds took up all the casting space for 20 other dudes standing there waiting, but the guy would sure hook a lot of fish, no doubt. He was cool to me as a kid and often let me fish in his group, which was usually the best part of any run. Caught a lot of fish next to him when I was a youngster in the 70s. RIP Dick.

Jim on the other hand would come storming through, making two casts and then keep banging brush and walking his way upstream, often wading waist deep. Never saw him hook too many, but I respect the dedication to spinners.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  7. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

Well i guess it's my turn. i only had to deal with dick n his bunch for about a week, one year on the rouge. when they came threw i just quit fishing (got pushed outa the spot i was fishin) how bedford on the other hand, i run in to him at least 100 time on the grand, i'd b fishing n he would come up river chucking spinner right in my drift (turned the fish off) i would bitch, but it did no good, honestly i through he was deaf & dumb, then one day i seen him giving a speech at the civic on how to fish........what a guy, made money being a very inconsiderate fishermen. ps i hope he read this he knows who i'am

8. Trout King

Trout King

He has done the same thing to me and many more. On bigger water like the Grand it doesn't bother me too much. It did however bother me one day on a trib. I had been at the hole by myself for a bit and was giving the fish a little break after hitting a few. I was changing rigs and just giving the hole a few minutes to settle. Here comes Jim, says hello and the basic, "how ya doin'" conversation. He explains how this hole is usually good to him and proceeds without asking to throw his spinner through the hole a few times. I kind of gave him the blank stare and hinted I better move on to somewhere else. He told me he believes he was helping me by, "waking them up". I have chucked enough hardware and it is my opinion that if you don't catch them on the hardware, it most likely puts the fish down. Oh well, I try not to get too bent about other people anymore. Still, there is something to be said about proper river etiquette.

Treven likes this.
  9. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Jim and his gang would do the same thing to my dad and I on the Little Manistee, we would be fishing a run and they would walk right through it while flipping their spinners and never say a word to us. I was fairly young at the time and didn't really know what to think about it at the time.

10. Spin to Win

Spin to Win

Man - a lot of Bedford bashing going on here. I think we need to add a little context and perspective to some of these posts.

First of all, I am not going to call any of your stories about this man a lie, because I wasn't there for any of them. However, I have been on the stream with him many times, and have never witnessed the discourtesies some describe. I'm sure there have been times when he wasn't as courteous as he should have been, but I know that lots of us (myself included) could be thrown in that category from time to time as well. I certainly have never seen any type of intentional snagging, and find it highly unlikely that he would partake in that.

Let's focus on all of the positive things this man has done, and is still doing for our fishery in the last 50 years:
    • Fights for better fish habitat, including being a major voice for dam removal
    • Has written hundreds of articles helping others become better fisherman
    • Watchdog for destruction of our resources. Examples:
      • Alerted authorities about fish kills on several SW MI trout streams due to improper fertilizer management
      • Advocate, and voice for rehabilitation of stream side habitat destruction by drain commissioner in SW MI stream
    • Attends lots of meetings: Natural Resource Committee, Fishery Advisory Committee, Lake Michigan Committee, local DNR meetings, etc.
    • Volunteers his time and resources at trout camps every year to teach kids trout fishing
    • Written several books aimed to helping fisherman find places to fish, and how to fish for them
    • Taught a fishing class at LCC, and showed hundreds of anglers first hand how to catch fish
    • Keeps detailed records of his catch and shares them with the DNR in order to help them manage our fishery
    • Volunteers his time on stream improvement projects
    Jim Bedford has done more for the stream fisherman in the last half century than any other person I can think of. He needs to be applauded for his work, and care for the fish and environments that we all enjoy.

Ask yourself - What have I done to help our fishery? Is it as much as Jim Bedford? The answer for myself is, "No", and that means I have lots of work to do. What's your answer?

Spin to Win

jr28schalm, buck11pt24 and gino like this.
  11. Riverdude

Riverdude

Story after story say the same thing.
    Same goes for Bedfords "posse" in the white van.
    I can give you the names of 50 other fisherman that will say the same thing, Biggest clown on the river.

So if I volunteer my time to help our fishery, I then am allowed to act like an A-hole on the river?
    I think I'll pass on that!
    You admitted you aren't as courteous as you should be.
    Why don't you work on that before telling the rest of us to focus on the good things the clown has done.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  12. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

It might be my fault jim is the way he is, back in the day if i would of put my boot in his a$$ he might of turned out different, but like i said i though he was handicapped

Treven, buck11pt24 and troutguy26 like this.
  13. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Welcome to msf Jim. Lol

Treven likes this.
  14. Fishndude

Fishndude

I'm alright with Bedford's style of fishing, as I was with Swan's. Did I enjoy standing idly by, while Dick fought a raging fish on super-light line for 20 minutes, often breaking them off? Heck, no. But I respected his right to fish the way he wanted to, and always had the option to move away.

Likewise with Bedford, I usually felt he should more strongly respect the fact that someone was already fishing a spot, and not hammer it with casts of hardware. But I knew he wouldn't be there long, and there were some times I did hook fish behind him. Similarly, I learned a long time ago that having a motorized boat go through a hole I was fishing often triggers fish to bite, after the boat has passed. Jim pulled fish from spots I'd been drifting for an hour, a couple times, and he only made a couple casts. I wasn't doing any good, so I was kind of glad he got em to go.

And, yes, Mr Bedford has done a TON of good promoting Steelhead, and fishing for them. More than anyone I know who didn't do it for a living - although he did teach a fishing class at LCC for years.

troutguy26, buck11pt24 and gino like this.
  15. Riverdude

Riverdude

I have seen the "motorized boat thru the hole" trick work many times.

buck11pt24 likes this.