Fred Bear (March 5, 1902 - April 27, 1988)

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Skinner 2, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

I could live with that. But, it'd be just my luck on the first trip out the ever elusive 30 pointer would make an appearance at 10 yards and broadside.
    It'd be awful hard not to take him.

2. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

I DO hope the mods leave the 'stuffing' in here... even tho much of it is off-topic......

On second thought...... Fred Bear was first and foremost a sportsman. He would totally (I believe) approve of what's taking place here... and it does NOT seem off-topic, therefore!
    ~m~

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009

3. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

You mean you got them 'turdy point bucks' up there in 'the turkey woods'???? :yikes: ;)
    ~m~

4. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Now there ya go, Munster.... making it mandatory that I go out and buy another gun !!! DARN !! ;)
    ~m~

5. madmike22

madmike22

Why would we want to move anymore firearm season to september? The early doe season and youth hunt have already had a dramatic effect on the october archery season. Oct 1 to nov 10? Depending on weekend dates. Do the youth hunt then. Then do 2 week gun season with the last week of muzzleloader. Let December be open to everything but firearm.

6. NoWake

NoWake

If you guys make it match lock and flint lock only you'll be facing some serious opposition by us wheel lock guys !!!:rant: :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  7. jward

jward

How about we have a season where we can only use rocks and spears? Now those are primitive weapons

8. Pappy4u

Pappy4u

About 20 years ago, a man killed a deer or bear with a homemade spear in the northeast (I think in Maine) and got ticketed because they though it was inhumane treatment.

Dave

9. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

I just saw this thread this morning. Being in the sun and warmth of Arizona will do that to you.

Going through this thread I was pleasantly surprised to see the word "agree" or its various forms being used frequently. Being in mod mode caused me to see if I was in the right site and right forum. I was going to wait until reading the entire thread before posting, but Tom's post (above) brought me into it sooner. He is saying a whole lot of truth in what he says as do Lew, Pinefarm in posts #s 32 and 35.

We need to get this crossbow stuff out of the way and behind us and work together. That's where our real strength is.

All of the suggestions given above have merit. Perhaps none is...or should be.....more unifying than those dealing with cervid farms. Therein lies a real danger to the sport of deer hunting and it seems that in the posts I read there were three or four in succession that agreed on this point. Having the many posts in a row expressing agreement is unheard of on these boards.

I don't know what follows for the rest of the thread after Tom's excellent post above and it may begin to sink down the drain, but if we can find ways to come together, realizing that not everything on m our "wish list" can be obtained or even sought, we'll discover that unity creates a force that can bring positive results.

If there are spelling errors (I think I've caught them all) in this post please excuse them. I'm on my wife's rlaptop here in AZ and the cursor keeps jumping around as I type. I've said some "bad words", but do ask foregiveness. So far during the typing of this message the cursor has jumped a dozen or more times. It seems to want to go to where the "I-bar" thingie is.

10. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

I didn't think it could last. Sixteen posts have just been deleted. Two guys come in here, one from each side of the crossbow issue and insert the poison pill that takes threads down the drain. This thread was going along very well and some bridges were being built, but two of you just couldn't let that go one could you. Both of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I also removed the responding posts including one by Flinch which tried to bring the thread back to where it was. Thanks Mr. Flinch.

Let's see if we can get thing back to where it was. Indeed it was going off topic, but as long as it was in a positive sense that's fine.

11. 00Buck

00Buck Guest

I agree;

anyone who wants to preserve "The right way to hunt" need to press for a stone knife and wooden spear as the only weapons allowed. none of those modern things called bow's "long, recurve, compound, or crossbow", none of those firearms "modern muzzle loaders, flint lock or cap lock, not hand or long guns", and no throwing stones either.

Just good ole homemade stone knives and wooden spear's "fire hardened spears are not allowed".

then the whiners could show us how to hunt grizzlies.:yikes:

12. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Hey, Whit1 ....... we hope you're staying safe down there and not getting near those drug cartel dudes!!!

Bring some sun home with you, ok?
    And have a safe journey home.
    ~m~

13. Hoyt_em

Hoyt_em

Mr Williams

If you would like to know one of the reasons, that your membership is declining, look NO further than your first few posts. Why would I gladly fork over my hard earned money to a club with leaders taking sarcastic, rude swings at fellow sportsman...and you appear to be some sort of leadership for this club.

I don't often get into these debates, more or less I spend my time reading and trying to educate myself, observe other viewpoints and reform my thoughts on a subject. I spend a lot of time on another forum dedicated to archery, and I can tell you what...IF WE AS SPORTSMEN DON'T GET OUR DUCKS IN A ROW, AND STOP THE INCESTANT BICKERING LIKE CHILDHOOD SIBLINGS, WE ARE GOING TO GET HOODWINKED OUT OF EVERYTHING WE ENJOY TO DO OUTDOORS.

Its is almost crazy the amount of opposition hunting/fishing/trapping faces in other states. We have it really good here in Michigan...there are literally millions of us that go after what species mother nature has to offer. We kill more deer with archery equipment in a month than some states have for a total of archers.

Realistically, none of us should be against anything the rest of us enjoy to do. We need to continue to work towards expanding seasons, and ligit methods for harvesting game. The more legal hunting rights we have the harder it will be to remove them.

And before someone interprets my thoughts as pro cross bow, and I end up coming under fire here...Michihunter can attest to my thoughts on crossbows...

14. Michihunter

Michihunter

Hoyt em- You really need to come around these parts more often,. If you did you'd know that Terry and I don't see eye to eye on this issue and I'd be the last one he'd ask regarding your viewpoints.:lol::lol:

BTW- I would agree with ya if I knew I wouldn't get slammed for it.:D:D

15. 2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver Premium Member