Fred Bear (March 5, 1902 - April 27, 1988)

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Skinner 2, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

#11 caps. And I use strictly black powder and all natural lubes, etc.
    ~m~

2. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

#11 caps are what I use on my blackpowder Dragoon. These pistols were used during the civil war.

When were caps introduced as an ignition system ?

3. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

Kentucky has it's ML season before regular firearms season. If regular firearms season was ever moved later in the season in the LP, there is a lot of opportunity for more seasons. ;)

So let's see for the LP in 2009...;)

Early Antlerless Season
    Sept.1-Sept. 14

Traditional Only Archery Season
    Saturday Sept. 19-Friday Sept. 25

Youth Hunt
    Saturday Sept.26-Sunday Sept. 27

Regular Archery Season
    Oct.1-Friday before Thanksgiving

Muzzleloading season
    Saturday before Thanksgiving-Nov.30

Regular Firearms Season
    Dec.1-Dec.7

Late Regular Archery Season
    Dec.8-Jan.15

So, should this be the next great debate? ;):):D:lol:

4. Munsterlndr

Munsterlndr Cereal Baiter Premium Member

Again, this would probably be better in another thread but unless you limit a "traditional" muzzleloader season to flint locks and matchlocks, you will be hard pressed to craft a regulation that will adhere to the intent of the proposed season. If you allow anything that uses caps, you are opening the door to everything including modern in-lines. There were 19th century blackpowder rifles of both the Sharps and the Schutzen variety that were capable of 200+ yard accuracy. Scopes were used during the Civil War by snipers on both sides. So what is going to be the cut off in terms of when "traditional" started? Understand that whatever benchmark you use, it will be a totally arbitrary one.

5. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Sounds like there is too much agreement already for a real good knock down drag out.:lol:
    I like the idea of ascending lethality till the regular firearms, Now, what about the late seasons?

6. ESOX

True. That could be a difficult call.

7. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

I agree. Much like the traditional archers.
    Then again, even trad archery has come a long way with the modern materials that some bows are constructed of. It'd be hard to say a trad guy using a composite stick bow couldn't use it for a " trad " only season.
    If we gave everybody thier own piece of the hunting season pie, we would run out of time slots.

8. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

There's a ton of truth in that statement Paul.

Can you imagine what we could accomplish if we all agreed something was worth pursuing and flexed our M-S muscle together.

It would definatly be a force to be reckoned with.

I believe things could get done and changes made cutting thru 2 years of red tape to boot.

33,000 + voices and a specific goal in our sights ..............

Ole Brady thought the congested phone lines and emails were unbelievable with the cb issue, just think of the headache we could cause if we were all standing together and demanding to be heard...........

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  9. 2PawsRiver

2PawsRiver Premium Member

make it traditional.:)

10. Michihunter

Michihunter

I think a possible solution to that would be to disalllow any letoff percentages as a way to define traditional equipment.

11. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

I'd allow all ML's in my dream season setup. ;) I would make sure that it was limited to single shot though. ;)

I'd do away with all the late antlerless seasons and make them prior to buck seasons, while all those meat hunters have all that freezer space. Maybe if more fill the freezer on antlerless deer in September and Regular Archery, before ML or Firearms season ever start, they may be a bit more selective.

Just a thought to lighten things up a bit.

My overall point is that there's lots of ways to still expand opportunity for all of us. October 1-Jan.1 should not be all that archers can hope for.

12. Thunderhead

Thunderhead

In the perfect scheme of things, the freezers are full of fresh doe meat, choice of weapon is a done deal.

I'd still like to see a 1 buck limit with no antler restricitions for those that want to shoot a buck of their choice. That would satisfy the " trophy " hunters as well as the meat hunters all the while increasing the headgear on alot of bucks that would have got themselves killed.
    I think in 2 years we'd see a remarkable difference with larger deer.
    Everybody likes to see a huge rack, meat guys and horn hunters alike.

I was thinking 1 buck for archery and 1 for firearm, but, I believe that would only turn into a big fight for those that don't participate in both seasons.

13. Pinefarm

Pinefarm

"I like the idea of ascending lethality till the regular firearms."

Exactly. As the season goes on, the weapons get more lethal, until the Late Archery Season, then peace and quiet returns for archers, yet MDNR gets it's deer killed in the LP, archers get most of December back, QDM'ers get an earlier antlerless kill and later Firearms season, etc. What's not to love? LOL

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  14. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

15. ESOX

I agree, but would add in the SLP you have to earn a buck tag by checking in a doe, at least until this herd situation is under control.