Freaks are out early

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by piketroller, Oct 17, 2020.

1. piketroller

piketroller

It ain’t Halloween yet and the freaks were out in full force tonight. First up was this sturgeon who apparently likes to bar fight. Down to one barbel and half a nose, but it was a fat 54” and full of piss and vinegar. The scutes were still really sharp for that size, so it must be a rather young fish.
    F4B45ECF-DCAA-47BE-A028-CB9E217FF6DA.jpeg 7E00990D-76DF-4CEA-910C-0040C04AE92B.jpeg

Next was this little football. 29” and 8 pounds. The picture doesn’t do it justice. For reference, I got a normal looking 30” one shortly afterwards that weighed 4.5 pounds. This fish might grow up to be a 60” long adult with a 40” girth. It was the most vocal sturgeon I’ve ever caught. It grunted the whole time from before it came aboard to as it was swimming away.
    1882B79C-D8CB-4F96-A2EE-F5CFCB9C6CB2.jpeg

Finally I got my first SCR burbot. I think the boat is going to stink for a week.
    80EFCDEA-C35C-4283-A28A-611AD5FFC6A5.jpeg

Whales, j cal, Sparky23 and 29 others like this.
  2. ReallyBigFish

ReallyBigFish

Nice catches. I want to get a burbot sometime. I remember reading an article about them in Outdoor Life about the eelpout weekend in either Minny or Wisconsin they have in winter to catch and celebrate them.

DOUBLE DOWN likes this.

3. on a call

on a call

My guess would be that sturgeon got into a line that disformed its mouth and cut its snout ??

Just a guess...but, I am happy to see it is doing well !

Nice bur ! I guess there are a few in there.

4. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Dam that little porker is going to grow up to be a mighty impressive fish. Wonder if it is a young fish that just eats constantly or an older fish that doesnt grow lengthwise like it should. Either way it looks like you have a dam good spot for sturgeon. Nice to see the pics of them.

fisheater likes this.
  5. piketroller

piketroller

Little head usually means a young fish. But with odd balls like this you really don’t know unless you count the rings on the ear bone or whatever else the biologists do to age them.

6667supersport likes this.
  6. jumbojake

jumbojake

De freaks come out at night;)

sureshot006 and Waif like this.
  7. 6667supersport

6667supersport

Sounds like you have been to Royal Oak a time or two :lol:

fisheater and jumbojake like this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Sounds like something out of fieldy's dreams.

jumbojake likes this.
  9. DOUBLE DOWN

DOUBLE DOWN

Tony The Tiger says “Tastes Great”

Caught this 40” Tiger Muskie Saturday on my Buddy Muskie Mike’s boat...maybe the new moon played a part luring the Freaks!

I’ve never caught one before. It made a mad dash run and peeled 500 feet of line after the initial hit where it propelled itself like a launching tuna at the surface. It was impressive! I did not know that they were a cross breed between a pike and a LSC Muskie and can’t re-produce. Shame...awesome fish. C6A064C7-3EF9-4313-BC38-E84D3ECFD0EE.jpeg 0CBC9358-6A5C-4493-A814-57AA447C7981.jpeg

Whales, gundogguy, zfishin and 3 others like this.