close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Four year old in layout

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by SchuStrings32jg, Aug 2, 2017.

1. SchuStrings32jg

SchuStrings32jg

Looking to take my four year old boy with me goose hunting during the early season (if I can find Fields). I'm thinking of having him lay in the layout blind next to me with his ear plugs in. Not really worried about shooting anything, more just want my buddy along to watch some birds fly. Has anyone ever done anything like this? He is pumped and talks about hunting with daddy all the time?

dlbaldwin01 likes this.
  2. zimmzala

zimmzala Premium Member

I haven't but sounds perfect. It's just dad and son time enjoy it while you can. Plus maybe you will make another hunter. But again who cares it's just bonding time. I didn't really make a hunter out of my daughter but we sat in the blind together saw a few things and just bonded it was great. Good luck

3. Aaronjeep2

Aaronjeep2

Sounds like father son time nothing wrong with that. We need more foul hunters to keep this sport alive.

4. dlbaldwin01

dlbaldwin01

I started taking my son last year when he was 5 I don't field hunt so can't speak to that my suggestions come from hunting water. I will tell you if he wants to go, take him, unless the weather is very bad, my son goes every time I go as long as he wants too, never make him go if he doesn't want to. One thing I would recommend is a good set of electronic ear muffs, do not use ear plugs most are too big for youth and their uncomfortable. We have the howard leight impact sport model, they are great, and they don't bother my son at all to wear them. They let him hear everything going on and you can still talk normal, which is huge for a youngster because he usually has at least 5000 questions everytime we go. I also go with the idea that the hunt may only last an hour or two, although seeing/shooting birds can extend that time. A second thing is to make sure they are comfortable clothing wise, seems dumb to buy hunting clothes they will just grow out of, but it is worth it to make sure they aren't cold or wet, I also have 2 younger kids so I can hand it down, so my wife is on board with the cost. Wing supply usually has a good selection of kids clothing I picked up a set of browning bibs and coat last year about this time for $25 a piece, so for $50 he has better stuff than me. Take lots of snacks, our ritual is to stop at the gas station so he can pick out his treats, just another thing to make it a special trip and get them wanting to go more. He is definitely hooked on waterfowl now as he has already started asking when we can go to another state to hunt when our season closes. He has also started to get upset when I miss and offer his take on why I missed, he is quite the expert now at 6 years old. Also in his reliving of the hunts he has gotten my daughters attention, who has declared that she will be going hunting this year because she turns 5 in September so I will have two kids with me this year. Lastly, whether he sticks with it or not its a great opportunity to teach him about a lot of things in life that aren't just hunting related. Included one of my favorite pictures from last season a mallard limit with a pintail, on a cold wet day that he insisted on going because he knew it was going to be a good day for ducks. IMG_20161119_085303933_HDR.jpg

5. smoke

smoke

My son from the time he was 5 went on basically every trip as long as it wasn't brutally cold. In the layouts, boat and walk in hunting as well. We enjoyed every trip. He used to carry his bb gun most trips and I found this to be a great way to get him accustomed to safe firearm handling, how to work birds, when to call the shot and everything else that goes with hunting.

Bertslash and gr8lakefisher like this.
  6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

7. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

I agree with electronic ear protection. He is still a kid and if will need instructions, hate to have him have plugs in and not be able to hear you

8. Big Skip

Big Skip

For sure bring him! Our group loves taking kids including mine! Hearing protection for sure and bug spray for early morn. Last year we brought a 6 yr old w the intention of letting only him shoot if we landed some. He had a single shot 4 10. First bird of the morn landed right behind him and he blasted him...priceless.

Waif likes this.
  9. Ash

Ash

My dad took me when I was that young. We hunted the federal refuge back when they had dry land standing corn blinds. Fun stuff. I have a lot of great memories from then. Definitely take your kid out if they want to go. I second the ear muffs! Get a good youth pair.

10. Spartan88

Spartan88

Take him, I was 5 my first time duck hunting with my dad.

11. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I have taken out a lot of fathers with their young kids over the years. It's always fun to see the young ones pop up with Dad and act like they are knockin down.

Ear protection is a must and it wouldn't hurt to pack a couple toys to keep him occupied if the action is slow

Bertslash likes this.
  12. SchuStrings32jg

SchuStrings32jg

Any tips for having them in a one person layout with me. I was thinking either have him lay beside me or between my legs. Just want to be safe about it

13. fowlme

fowlme

Watch the weather and dress appropriately. Muffs and if you can swing it use electronic ones so he can hear and you don't have to yell. They can take it as your yelling at them. Have a great time and good luck this season.

14. toppm

toppm

Stop at the gas station on the way and pick up snacks.
    Should be good to go.

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  15. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Depends on the size of your blind or how big you and your son are. Bust it out one of these days in the back yard and give it a few practice runs with the boy. Start a goose hunting boot camp so he is comfortable with the blind and gear before you guys hit the field. It would be fun for the both of you.

I used to have a final approach eliminator pro guide. We dubbed it the mansion. One of the property owners liked to come out with us and he brought his two sons one morning. They were both around 5-7 years old at the time. They piled in there with Dad and had a riot. They fit no problems.

I second snacks, gotta have snacks. You are doin it wrong if ya don't have snacks!

eriedawn79 likes this.