"Fortified" Sunflower Seed

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by B.Jarvinen, Nov 14, 2020.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

I bought a big bag of black Sunflower seeds recently. It claims to be fortified with Vitamin A & D and possibly other vitamins & minerals; I forget the exact claim. I saw this on a lot of other bird feeder type products, but most of those are a mix of items.

I expected there would be something in the bag besides the sunflower seeds to somehow hold bits of nutritional goodies. Instead, the bag is 100% pure black sunflower seeds.

So I started wondering - how does the "manufacturer" fortify Sunflower seeds like this? Some sort of liquid sprayed on to the seeds? But - the critters generally don't eat the shells.

Still perplexed about this. Certainly sounds like a good idea, but how does it work?

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Sounds like a gimmick to me besides sunflower seeds are packed with vitamins already .

Scout 2 and 6Speed like this.

3. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

How would they fortify sunflower seeds? They don't eat the hulls and the kernel is sealed inside. Sounds like a gimmick to me also.

4. finlander

finlander

Has Fish Oil as well. :rolleyes:

5. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

Must be like cereal--sprayed on.

6. CaseBones62

CaseBones62

Unless these are for cage kept birds, I’m not sure why we would be fortifying wild bird/animal food with anything.

Seems gimmicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6Speed likes this.