close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For the love of a weasel...

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by cmonkey, Sep 11, 2017.

1. cmonkey

cmonkey

Every year, I think it will be changed. In the hunting regs, one sees the usual species that can be shot with no limit or season. Most make sense, but honestly, WHEN have you last seen a weasel? I can see if one is causing depredation on livestock, otherwise I think they should be protected entirely except trapping season. They're just not that common.

On the flip side, there are animals that can NEVER be taken; and are completely protected. On this list are Flying Squirrels, which in all honesty are about as common as chipmunks...in virtually every woodlot, but completely protected. Perhaps this is just so hunters aren't shooting at night, but otherwise, it's another rule that makes little or no sense, when Red Squirrels are on the anywhere, anytime list.

As an aside, I used to bird watch in Point Mouillee in the spring, long after waterfowl and small game seasons had closed. One day, I encountered two bubbas (I hunt, trust me they were) galumphing with shotguns. I casually asked what they were hunting. "Weasels!" they exclaimed. The marsh is full of mink, and I think that this is what these two figured were weasels. They went on to explain that weasels are about two feet long, and brown. In return they got a cocked eyebrow and a sigh.

DNR...once again, Department of No Results.

2. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Is there a growing trend of weasel hunters out there wiping out the population? Weasels are fairly common. I do a lot of trapping marshes and their tracks are everywhere. Tough to spot but they are there. I have never heard of anyone hunting weasels. I can't imagine a reason to unless they were doing damage in a barn or shed. Their only value is in the fur and that is pretty small. Shooting one makes it worthless.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I used to see them all the time where I hunted in PA. They kinda disappeared 8 or 9 years ago. I have not seen one since. Strange.

4. shotgun12

shotgun12

they are over here, but not seen a lot.

5. Scout 2

Scout 2

I usually see a couple every year