Food Plot Suggestions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by kerby1, Nov 26, 2020.

1. kerby1

kerby1

Looking for some thoughts. I am in Harrison, MI. I purchased 40 acres that has been clear cut about ten years ago. Left all the tops and lots of prickers and regrowth. Around me to the east and north is all hardwoods. Directly on my east and south boarders are horse and cow pasture so has some type of grass. To my west is combo of farmfields and hardwoods. I have cleared what I have estimated to be about 3 acres for food plots this next year, broken into four similar sized areas, spaced throughout the property. I am not planning on doing any spring food plots. What would be suggestions on plantings be for variety between the different plots. I have done soil tests and will be adding lime. I pretty much have access to my hands, a rototiller, and a fourwheeler, so limited in that regard. Focus is pretty much bow and first week of gun at this point. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Experiment to see what works best but don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Clover for heavier soil, alfalfa or small burnet for light soil. Rotate perennials every 3 years or so to another plot.

Brassica blend, always a favorite of mine. It performs best in non saturated soil.

Cereal rye, aroostook variety is the most attractive I’ve tried. Can be broadcast but worked in gives better results.

Wheat. It needs to be worked into the soil unlike rye.

3. CDN1

CDN1

I’d start with frost seeding clover into or one of your plots in early spring. See if it takes. Spray or mow in June. Then over seed brassicas in late July or rye grain on labour day weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. Waif

Waif

If your fourwheeler is going to be your mule....A spreader will be handy.
    And a drag.
    Lots of options among them. Cheapest will be a hand spreader. Vs one mounted on the fourwheeler.
    And the cheapest (unless you find a cheaper option) drag can be a section of chainlink fence with weight on it. By driving a trail between plots/connecting them enough pulling a drag you can wear out what's growing there now.

Cheapest is not most efficient , but it's a start if your budget weary.

Otherwise , lots of equipment can be used with a fourwheeler. If it's strong enough.

Tilling has it's place. So can not tilling.
    If you get pressed for time you can go crude on broad areas while still trying to establish a cover crop , with sweeter enhanced/better worked and adjusted/soil amended areas near seasonal stand locations allowing you to hunt different winds.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Ask Santa for a sprayer and Ed Spinazzola’s food plot book.

brushbuster, QDMAMAN and Waif like this.
  6. shell waster

shell waster

brassicas with clover, if fails then oversead with rye

7. rocknreel2

rocknreel2

Must be a good book- $149 on Amazon... worth it?

8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I think I paid $10 for mine. Maybe it was Ed’s personal autograph that brought the cost down.

brushbuster and QDMAMAN like this.
  9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Did Ed write more than 1 book ? I'll see if I can find mine. $10-15 sounds about right for the book.

L & O

10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Food plots 1-2-3 was Ed’s first book.

11. Bob S

Bob S

Ed's second book is an expanded version of the first book.

51x3vLuoweL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

12. rocknreel2

rocknreel2

I’d Venmo/PayPal someone for that book at $10-$15 if anyone willing to part with theirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk