close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly shop

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by Jace, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Jace

Jace

I've been looking into getting into fly fishing for awhile but always put it aside because I catch fish on spin gear. but I recently won a fly rod and reel in a raffle and now I'm looking for recommendations on a good fly shop that would help a beginner with a good set up. I'm in the middle of the state so anywhere is an option thanks

2. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Jace,

Do you have a favorite river/stream/lake that you fish more often than others? If so, I'd recommend google-searching for fly shops in the proximity of that particular water. Two reasons for my recommendation - (a) if you're going to have to drive any distance to get to the fly shop, it may as well be rather handy to the water you want to fish, and (b) folks that work in fly shops are some of the most knowledgeable about what works on the local streams, rivers, etc. and when they realize you're willing to support their establishment by purchasing goods from them, most are very willing to provide tips, pointers, and advise regarding hatches, water levels, etc.

After frequenting a few shops and making a few purchases, those fly shops will become a pretty good place to hang out to become a better fly fisherman.

PunyTrout and StormyChromer like this.

3. Jace

Jace

Thanks that definitely makes a lot sense. I fish a few different rivers and now want to try some flys only water but will definitely go the shop that is nearest to my go to spot thanks

Gamechanger likes this.
  4. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

@Gamechanger reply is a much more considered response than initial thoughts and I have to agree with him. Small, local shops deserve our business. My vote would be BBT in Baldwin in that regard. Jay's in Clare or Gaylord would be my second choice but they seem to be a good outfit as well in my experience.

Gamechanger likes this.
  5. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Great Lakes Fly Fishing in Rockford

6. Ray Adams

Ray Adams

Agreed on Great Lakes. Also Old Au Sable in Grayling.

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Great Lakes, BBT and Muskegon River Fly Shop in Newaygo are all great shops on the middle west side. All have knowledgeable, helpful staff and will get you started in the right direction.

D

8. Jace

Jace

Thanks guys I'll probably check out Great Lakes and Muskegon river fly shop. because those are nearest to where I'll be fishing with it the most

9. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

So you have the rod/reel, did it come with any line. You are going to learn to cast and mend some line. Focus on short, accurate casts. Don't get hung up on trying to bomb 100 ft casts. Watch YouTube. Also consider hiring a guide once or, if you are close, the Orvis shop in TC offers some free classes and instructions out on the river. Good luck!