close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly Rod Build

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by abbatoys, Feb 15, 2018.

1. unclecrash

unclecrash

I just checked its an im6 called translucent green 9ft 3 weight 4 piece

twowack and OH-YEAH!!! like this.
  2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Another good blank would be a Batson Rainshadow switch rod, available in 10'8" 4 pc. a little more money but great blanks to work with.
    One thing to think about is you might want to use single foot guides instead of snake guides, especially for chuck and duck, indy and cold weather fishing. They also make a really nice streamer rod. I have two different rods, 7 wt. and 8 wt. that I use.

3. unclecrash

unclecrash

I think I was looking at them the other day ,my next build will be a spey or a switch rod. Need a good steelhead rod for big water tired of not being able to work the hard to get to holes.

4. unclecrash

unclecrash

Well the rain got me slowed up my epoxy plus the heat is down in the den area last section on the dryer. Might rerun the tip section ,its the one still tacky will see once the section on the rack drys .If the tip is not dry gong to rerun it. then all I have is the tiptop. Might not of stirred that back good enough as I remember my tinfoil tub I made was letting it run all over which might have got me . Will see at about midnight or so. It seems to be sloooowly trying to cure. LOL

5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Read the directions and it will give the optimum temperatures and humidity to cure under.

I'm working on a new rod and waiting until it warms up a bit to glue and having the Flexcoat cure. Don't rush a job until it's ready to be finished. It will last you a lifetime once it's finished.

6. unclecrash

unclecrash

I know all about the epoxy and temp best 72 to 77 degree. Bro turned it down to 67 I put a space heater going in my room to help it a long. Im not too worried about this rod cheap blank just practicing for when I start on a good blank then I will take my time this Im going fishing with in a few days one way or another. LOL

7. unclecrash

unclecrash

I might even let a friend fish it if he wants to learn that is if I dont like it too much. Im hard pressed to think it will out perform my orvis Trident 3 weight 8ft 6