Fly Rod Build

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by abbatoys, Feb 15, 2018.

1. abbatoys

abbatoys

Looking at building a 10' fly rod in either 7 or 8 wt for indy fishing steelies. This may pull double duty as a streamer rod too. I am curious if anyone has any blank recommendations.? I am happy with a 2 piece rod and with this being my first build I am thinking kind of a lower budget blank...Thanks, Scott

2. BMARKS

BMARKS

check out the mudhole mhx blanks. they have a huge selection. i havent had any personal experience but i have read good things and they have a great price point.

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

I just had a guy recommend those blanks. He said they’re great

BMARKS likes this.
  4. kaplan

kaplan

How'd you get prepped to do this?

Ive been wanting to myself, but wouldnt know where to start.

5. unclecrash

unclecrash

Start by watching videos on youtube of rod building. Then go get a kit from mudhole or another store. Do a few kits before you tackle buying separate components for the rod. You need a rod wrapper they sell them I think at mudhole you could make something to work also need a little motor for drying the rod so it spins slow so the epoxy dont run. Need a few tools thread epoxy kit stirring sticks a torch to get bubbles out the epoxy a razor knife or exacto knife tape you will see once you watch a few videos.

6. unclecrash

unclecrash

Im going to do a rod here in a few days maybe Ill post a short build of the basics be my second build,so you will get an idea of its not too bad to do . Just some common sense. Spine the rod bland ,put all eyes on same side. LOL ream the handle to fit the rod. use tape to tighten up the reelseat then epoxy it on making sure everything is aligned before epoxying the guides and handle.

7. unclecrash

unclecrash

Here is what im about done with. 9 foot 3 weight 4 piece. 20180401_201518_Film2.jpg 20180401_201522_Film2.jpg 20180401_201540_Film2.jpg 20180401_201550_Film2.jpg 20180401_201554_Film2.jpg

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

I built a couple mud hole rods last year. Pretty happy with them. Lot of helpful info on their site also.

unclecrash likes this.
  9. unclecrash

unclecrash

10. BMARKS

BMARKS

11. unclecrash

unclecrash

Thank's BMARKS

12. unclecrash

unclecrash

A lot of the wraps are needing a second coat. Still have to add the tip top. And carefully do the ferrule wraps again. I dont know why but this blank was not finished to the ends where the ferrules get wrapped else they would be finished. Thats why I wrapped them close to hide the blackish raw blank. If it was the nice green to the ends I would have moved them back a bit off the ends and wouldn't have to worry about getting epoxy in the ends. Thats why the alcohol is there and I twist a paper towel real tight on a point and soak it down incase any goes over the edge so I can go inside the end and clean it if need be ,but been lucky so far.

13. twowack

twowack

Your doing very well, what blank did you go with ,Im seeing what looks to be tiger eye in that blank.

14. unclecrash

unclecrash

Not sure I got it from a seller on ebay at the end of there title says Roger think its the guys name who sells them. its a dark green blank with swirl could be the tiger eye but not sure.

twowack likes this.
  15. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Another choice of blanks is Jans Netcraft they have a large selection of brands.