1. docman90

docman90

What is up,

I would like to get into fly fishing and have tried it before. I have a cheap 50 dollar combo that I got at Cabelas and need some help. I actually would prefer to fly for bass, pike, and fish like that rather than trout and salmon, I am not sure why I just like catching those fish better.

But I am having trouble with my casting every time I try to get some distance the fly seems to hit the water behind me and in front of me and I just have a hard time getting distance. I have herd good things about some of cabelas fly combos for 150 dollar range, which I know is really inexpensive in fly fishing, so should I upgrade my combo?
    Also any casting advice as I am just trying to do a normal over head cast and am having trouble getting good distance.

Thank you for your help

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Learn to haul and or double haul

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

My guess is you are going too far back and to far forward on either end of your cast. The mind trick that helps me is to imagine I am trying to throw the line up into the trees. I stop my back cast sooner, as well as my fore cast and the results are much smoother

4. BMARKS

BMARKS

What weight is the rod and line. and what type/size of fly are you using. it sounds like your line is too light for the size of the fly to me. if you are fishing bass i would imagine you are using a bigger fly. maybe even a popper or something along those lines. so for me, i would want at least a 7 weight line and rod to be able to have enough weight in the line to carry the larger more air resistant flies.

5. docman90

docman90

Thanks for all the help from above and to this, I have an 8 weight combo and the fly is a fly from Cabelas that is for an 8 weight line.

6. mfs686

mfs686

Check with your local fly shop. See if they have any intro or beginner classes. Having someone next to you is so much better than watching a video. A good instructor can point out the little things that will throw everything off. Always remember what Yoda says....

In Fly Fishing, Suck you must first. lol

7. docman90

docman90

Thanks and I like your Yoda comment :lol:

8. BMARKS

BMARKS

That should be plenty heavy enough. practice practice practice!

9. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

It sounds like your basic mechanics need work.
    Focus on these few things
    Hard stops at 10 and 2. Have somebody watch, often times a beginner thinks they are at 10 and 2, but are well into 9 and 3.
    Your back cast and fore cast should both be solid, often fly hitting the water behind you is due to a weak or extended back cast. Try casting behind you, making your back cast to the front, and your cast to the back.
    Shorten up your line to where you are easily in control of your line, false cast until you get tight loops. Develop muscle memory. Once you are comfortable, use hauls to shoot line forward.

An hour with a pro can shave tons of time off your learning curve.

10. Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan

I agree with Chromedoggy. I've been fly fishing for 5 or 6 years now. I still have issues with tailing loops (letting the line fall down on the back cast). I'm just now starting to get comfortable with a double-haul cast.

11. docman90

docman90

Thank you guys for all of the help. And advice on this.

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Good advice to get a lesson. I taught myself, very poorly I must say, when I was 14. I'm 57 and still fight some ingrained bad habits because I didn't learn correctly in the first place. So, the point is, try to avoid learning bad habits.

13. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

5 Decades later and I can still have days where I would be better off fishing backwards. If I find myself having this trouble, I concentrate on making a sudden stop with the rod tip before it gets to vertical. Then let the tip drift back a couple inches with the weight of the line, start the haul, then the forward cast. PS, if you are doing it right, you never, ever, ever need more than three false casts,and that is to lay out a lot of line, like the whole thing. Cut back on false casts and concentrate on a single haul on the forward cast for now. Once you get that down you can get into double hauls..

14. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Don't forget to "lock" your wrist and use your elbow for the motion

flyrodder46 likes this.