close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly bait bust

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by FREEPOP, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Patrickr

Patrickr

FullQuiver, yes, I am saying that! Absolutely! And it has nothing to do with anybody's opinion of themselves, it has to do with the costs of operating a full time business as a professional commercial trapper on a year around basis combined with their training, skill level, and their years of experience with various tools of the trade. Trappers, the type I am talking about, protect people's livelihoods (crops, livestock, wildlife), their personal property, and human health. And many of them get paid to fur trap as a preventive measure against, or to limit, future problems the following spring and summer. Even at last season's low prices for fur some of these trappers grossed in excess of $45K in fur alone for 90 to 120 days of trapping and fur processing. So as Seldom eluded to, I am not discussing your average run-of-the-mill fur trapper who might trap a handful of animals in the fall before freeze up as a hobby.

For the record FullQuiver, one of my mentors, who agrees with me on this topic is a retired veterinarian with 8 years of medical training.

I want all trappers, or those who want to be a trapper, to think about this; A new truck for trapping will cost you upwards of $50K just to purchase one for cash without any financial charges/fees. Then there are financial costs for depreciation, insurance, maintenance, tires, fuel, etc., etc.. Every time you start that truck or drive a mile it is costing you money whether it is devoted exclusively as a business vehicle or you have to use it as a family vehicle in addition to your trapping vehicle. Even if you do all of the maintenance work yourself there are still time costs associated with that. The same goes with specialized equipment such as a quad-runner, side-by-side, snowmobile, boat, etc., etc.. Traps cost money, a lot of money, whether they are new or not. And high quality foot hole traps such as Sterlings, Jakes, Belisle's, etc., are at the top end but not by far when you figure in the costs of modifying the lower priced traps. Cage traps, especially the high end cages all cost money. Specialized firearms utilizing thermal imaging and suppressors, or highly trained specialized breeds of dogs for decoying coyotes, or for running certain animals all cost big money that quickly gets into the thousands of dollars. Remote satellite trap checkers and their use costs big money. Wire stretchers, fur boards, stakes, drags, hammers, lures, baits, urines, gloves, etc., etc., all cost money. Even your trapping education will cost you money whether you take one-on-one personal on-the-line instructions, attend a "college", buy books and/or dvd's, or attend the school of hard knocks. Trapping, for fur and for ADC purposes, is a commercial business whether you do it at a hobby level or as a full or part-time profession. All of this money that you have spent is a financial investment in yourself and your equipment. So take pride in what you do. Seek out and learn from the best in the business, not necessarily the most advertised or well known. There is a difference. And understand that your trapping knowledge, skills, and abilities have great value. You set the price of that value. If somebody refuses to pay you what you feel you; your time, knowledge, skills, abilities, and equipment, are worth then they don't really have a problem! The same applies to fur trapping. If a fur buyer can't pay what you need to turn a profit, or break even, store your fur or don't trap. There is no such thing as "free". You are either making money, breaking even, or paying to trap. The choice is yours on which one you do.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    FREEPOP likes this.
  2. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I think you forgot about the poison we set out for mice and rats. From what I understand, the coons and possums that drink this mixture will be found within a short distance of the pan. Sounds like the death is very quick to me. Painful for the animal--no doubt, but it does sound very quick.
    As hunters we all know how slowly some of our targets die. Those deaths have to be way worse. Some complain about muskrat trappers because the rats drown. Should that be stopped ?
    I do agree that this method of killing coons is widespread. Again, the reason is that it is quick, easy, effective and inexpensive. From accounts that I have heard, 2 or 3 nights of baiting is all that is needed to eliminate a very high percentage of the local targets that are damaging the crop that the farmer is trying to protect.
    I don't see an easy solution.

L & O

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Not a farmer now but I once did some farming ,Back then hunters and trappers kept the coon population very low even then they could do much damage in a short time .Now they are tenfold what they were with no hope to have the population under control .They are wreaking havoc on many other species of small animals some are being predated to the point where no viable breeding population exist in some areas . No one in the DNR is addressing this issue seriously farmers know this and are doing what they feel needs to be done .

4. micooner

micooner

I'll call bs on the part of getting instructions on how to use fly bait to use
    There are enough trappers and coonhunters to thin the coon population. The problem is access. I have the luxury of a few thousand acres of private se michigan land to run my dogs most dont. Same with the trappers i know. Ask my fellow farmers and right off "well i would let you but my nephew, son, grandson says you'll scare the deer" so no sorry.

furandhides and feedinggrounds like this.
  5. furandhides

furandhides

No excuses regardless of damage being done, for non target indiscriminate poisoning. What happened to the civet cat, and a lot of other game in earlier days with the wanton use of arsenic and cyanide. BS. The farmers always the first to bitch and living high on the hog in the meantime. Talk about welfare queens.

6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Hmmmm. I guess we do not know any of the same farmers.

L & O

7. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Not advocating poison but coons are doing great harm .They have 2 enemies humans and vehicles and are going unchecked now .They litter the roadways by the tens of thousands .No upland game birds in many areas of the state now and most other ground nesting non game birds are disappearing fast.

8. furandhides

furandhides

I agree. They need thinning. get out and set some traps.

9. furandhides

furandhides

GET A COON HOUND. lol

10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

11. furandhides

furandhides

Only one way to get over the poison. Get more people to become rats and turn in the violators, and increase penalties for use.

James Dymond likes this.
  12. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Buy fur products, Hang some pelts in the man cave, wear fur have family wear real fur during the cold winter months. Give me $10 for a coon and I will knock them back hard in my area. I will take some this fall mainly due they are plentiful and "I just have to trap" If guys having issues would get a dozen Dog proof traps they will be having so dang much fun, they may start calling themselves trappers. Doesn't everyone want a real coonskin cap?

Firefighter likes this.
  13. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Just picked up a brand new 220 w/ setting tool at a yard sale for $5.00 . a couple weeks ago .

14. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Very effective tool no doubt, please check the trapping guide, "PLEASE" as 220's are not a catch and release tool. Get it well out of reach of pets and non target animals. Using it makes you a trapper, be a responsible one.

multibeard likes this.
  15. furandhides

furandhides

50,000 coon at $10 ea. bounty paid to trappers by a tariff on farmers. A fixed tax on ea. bushel of corn, and doz. ears of sweet corn, should provide farmers the relief they need. LOL

Fool'em likes this.