close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fly bait bust

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by FREEPOP, Sep 8, 2017.

1. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

A very close personal friends labrador was poisoned a month ago with "fly bait and coke"....the dog lived a 1/2 hour foaming from the mouth then went in convulsions the veterinarian put the dog down to end its suffering....the farmer put it in the fence row behind my friends house next to his cornfield....

Both my friend and her mother got the "foam" from the dogs mouth on them the veterinarian was concerned they could have been poisoned also....

Its a "felony" in Michigan to poison a animal except mice or rats....Macomb County DA will more than likely plea bargain to a misdemeanor....

2. det07

det07

Sad deal. Hopefully a report was taken/criminal charges are being sought?

Just because the prosecutor won't seek proper criminal charges doesn't mean that the owner can't file a case in civil court. I'd be seeking some serious reimbursement for that dog!

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Trying to figure out how the bait was used. Does it sound like the farmer placed the pan of bait inside the live trap ?
    Illegal for sure, but corn farmers are going to continue to use this method because it is very easy, inexpensive and will wipe out the problem in 3-4 nights.
    Seems that we hear about 1-2 pet deaths each year. Probably thousands of coon deaths go unreported.

L & O

4. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

If you want to see some ridiculous sentencing coming out or our court system. Oceanas is ridiculous. If you want to do some thing illegal come to Oceana as most of the sentencings to jail are with the courts discression.

Got to www.oceanacountypress.com

Take a look back through the sentencing articles. Confusing as heck. Looks like they are getting their patties slapped with a wet noodle to me.

Edit How many pets and other critters wander off and die a terrible death out of sight. No excuse for using poison, no matter how convenient.

feedinggrounds likes this.
  5. det07

det07

Unfortunately, this is the case in most of the lower peninsula. Southern LP is the worst. Check Ingham, Wayne, Genesee counties. The higher the case load of the court, the weaker the prosecution. Unless the prosecuting attorney is a passionate outdoors person, they usually have no desire to learn about how to properly prosecute a fish and game case. In Ontario, they have special prosecutors that only handle fish and game cases.

6. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I have dealt with lazy prosecutors before. They are elected, and sensitive to past issues being brought up during election campaigns. Keep calling the office, take notes and call them out at town hall meetings, it puts a big hurt on the plea bargain. Sad it has to be done that way but as soon as they are elected they become "politicans"

7. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

Its was placed in a "pie pan" in the open....if it was placed in a wood box like a live trap it would have never happened to a large dog....

2 years ago she send me a picture of a large coon dead in the barn yard....no sign of what had caused it death....my first thought was "fly bait" I told her to be careful where her dogs were going that I was almost sure that was the cause of death to the coon....

8. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

It is hard to get another attorney to run against a prosecutor over here. Must not be enough $$$ in it vrs private practice. The only time we get a different prosecutor is when one retires.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

In Lapeer county they are cut throat running against each other. They like to give their friends the assistant prosecuting jobs. It creates a fair amount of drama in the community. Maybe there are less perks in your county.

10. U D

U D

cotote wacker - How did that Labrador get into the "Fly-Bait"????

11. Patrickr

Patrickr

I've run into numerous farmers/landowners that think I should pay to trap their lands. And I too have walked back to my truck laughing, but only after a I told them that most people pay me to trap for them. The animals aren't eating my crops or killing my livestock. I've even been denied coyote and fox trapping permission because they think those two species will kill a lot of turkeys and deer that are eating their crops. But on the other side of the issue I have been paid by farmers and others to trap coon, coyotes, and beaver in the summer months. Yeah, it is hot, miserable work, but if the pay is there it makes the job a lot more palatable.

I think a lot of our problems with getting farmers, and others, to pay us for trapping their land is that we have conditioned them for decades that we trap for fun just like the open wallet hunters hunt for fun, or we do it for the price of the pelt. We have created our own worst case scenario. Now we have to undue all of that and it will take decades. In my opinion, a real good trapper, working year around, should be easily able to gross $150K a year. As an independent professional tradesman my services are just as valuable as that of a lineman, a plumber, an electrician, a lawyer, or even a doctor. And I'm the one providing all of the specialized equipment in addition to my years of training and experience. That is all worth more than most trappers give it credit for.

Don Schumaker just came out with a new book, "Journals of a Coyotero", that examines this very topic in good detail.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    williewater99 likes this.
  12. Patrickr

Patrickr

But, to get back to the fly bait issue; the use of fly bait is wide spread in the entire agricultural community as well as in almost all neighborhoods by somebody. I know of numerous fruit growers and dairy farmers who openly use it, and I know of several ag stores and hardware stores where any adult can buy it and get instructions on how to use it for most every wildlife problem somebody might have. In my opinion, the DNR needs to start cracking down on this type of stuff. Nothing, other than flies, deserves to die this way.

furandhides likes this.
  13. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

That made me laugh right there... There is no way the skill level, education and training of a doctor even can be compared to any trapper.. You have an awfully high opinion of yourself to believe that load.. You know why trappers get paid so little.. It is what the market says you are worth it's called a free market economy.. This isn't rocket science...

Liver and Onions likes this.
  14. Seldom

Seldom

I most certainly believe the 150K because what Pat is talking about isn't for your run-of-the-mill fur trapper going out and helping some farmer with a coon in his sweet corn, he's talking about the adc business. He's talking about a professional trapper! Huge difference between trappers. Crazy high rates and folks who are in-need PAY the $$ to the professional period!!

So yes, trappers with low skill levels or haphazard fur trappers hanging out waiting for fur trapping season to open are governed by their OWN self-imposed free market economy. What happens is as with this thread there is a huge difference between the free market economy of the hobbyist fur trapper I just described and a professional adc trapper!!

15. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

So you're saying that pay for a trapper because he hangs out a shingle as a pro should be commensurate with a physician...

Suuuuurrre. I don't believe that dog will hunt....