Fluorocarbon Question

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by adam bomb, Sep 26, 2019.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

For Salmon I’m running a 10’6” medium Baitcaster rod, Abu Garcia Revo SX, 30# Power Pro, 15 Gram Raven Float, 3/8 oz trolling sinker, 20# Sunline FC Leader Material with a 3/0 split shot 1/2 way down the leader and a BB shot half way between the 3/0 shot and the hook. Business end is a 1/0 Skeena Hook with an egg loop. I picked up a spool of 20# Sunline FC leader last week. Been stored in my Fishpond bag in my basement. House is a steady 68*.

I attached the leader to trolling sinker tying both a palomar and a fisherman’s knot. I hooked 6 fish, all of them lost due to knot failure. I don’t think i was putting to much muscle on the fish. I had a nice slow hole, open river, pretty slow flow and no log jams to contend with. I am not new to fishing by any means and have never had knot issues with any type of line. I take the time to tie them correctly and wet the knot well when cinching them down. Hell I even tried cinching some of them down in the river so that I know there was no chance of burning the line. I even inspected the knots after tying, no kinks or burrs from improper tying/burning. Everything looked A1 to me. I even inspected the swivel for burrs or anything that woulda caused an issue.

Do you think I could have gotten a bad spool of Fluorocarbon? What knot would you use on this set up? I gotta tell you, that’s a pretty frustrating way to be losing fish and had me doubting myself by days end.

Picked up some P Line Tactical 20# and some Seaugar Blue Label 20# for the next outing. Thoughts, opinions, advise welcomed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. bornwise

bornwise

adam bomb likes this.

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

Thanks, glad to hear I’m “knot” the only one thats had that issue. I did peruse YouTube as well looking for a stronger option. I seen that knot as well as the Double Shindo knot that Gerald Swindel ties. I did try the Double Shindo knot since coming home and it does seem very strong. It’s nice that everything is doubled in those knots.

4. don

don Premium Member

I use a Palomar knot for everything except braid with no issues. My line will break before my knots give up.

GrandGuru likes this.
  5. adam bomb

adam bomb

Always the case for me as well. That’s why I’m wondering if I’ve got some bad Fluorocarbon

6. antlerhunter

antlerhunter

I too use the Palomar for FC, use it on all my leaders and between a 3 way and snap swivel that connects to a 2 pound sinker that gets casted out in the St.Clair River about 20 feet on average. Only time I bust my line(and lose $7 sinker) is when I don't check that the line isn't wrapped around the rod tip or forget to open the bail. I'd say you have some old line....

TK81 and adam bomb like this.
  7. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

Adam your not the first person. I've heard talk about a bad batch on sunline fc. I actually know 2 others that have said very similar issues. I always tie a palomar knot and have had no issues but I dont use sunline fc because of the stories I've heard.

adam bomb likes this.
  8. adam bomb

adam bomb

Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. Add another to the list of people not using it!

9. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

I do however love the sunline sx1 and have it on all mi jigging rods. I bought a spool of yellow in April and respooled my river rods and I really like it. Same as the green I have used for a long time but the yellow is much easier for my old eyes to see. It is by far the best braid I have ever used.

adam bomb likes this.
  10. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

You have to have had a bad batch. 20 sniper is unreal. Even 16 sniper is unreal. Really anything over 8 sniper I’m a fan of..... with that said, yes I have gotten bad spools of it. I try to order through places that get it and presumably move it fast. Up north shops, or fishusa. When I saw you can boat flip 4lb fish with 10 sniper, I was thoroughly sold. I am straightening 2/0 gami Octopus hooks before line breaks with good knots on the 16 let alone the 20.

10+10 wrap egg loop for me, and a simple 5 wrap cinch knot on the other end is the best combo I have personally found for sniper. Every fc likes certain knots from my experience.

As I said though, go no lower than 8lb if you’re going to run it for steel.

I had received mixed reports when I started running it a year or so ago, but the negatives were also either intermittent presumably bad spools, or under 8lb... I also toss all line, mono or fc, once it’s a year old from purchase, or I notice a difference.

Treven likes this.
  11. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

I was ready to buy a spool of 16 sniper at my local place and they talked me out of it.
    Multiple complaints (valid/verified) regarding knot strength.

I’m sure the line is great if you get the right batch but it sounds like they need a new Q.A manager.

Sticking with Seaguar.

adam bomb likes this.
  12. adam bomb

adam bomb

Yeah Im starting to think it’s a bad batch. I used 8# a lot last winter for steelhead with good results. I talked with a guide friend who said he had similar results with the 8# and 10# for steelhead that I had with the 20#. I’m pretty turned off to it after hear it’s inconsistencies. It’s about a 300 mile round trip to fish the river. I just can’t have something that should be a non issue putting a damper on fishing trips. I’ll toss it or make walleye harnesses out of it but I’ve lost all faith in it for silver fish trips. They have a way of pointing out weak links in a set up and they made their point clearly with me . I just don’t wanna roll the dice like that.

I fished on my buddies boat not long ago using his gear set up exactly except he ran Seaugar SST and we were putting some real pressure on fish to try and turn them and keep them out of the wood. We never busted a line all day on a fish or a snag. It just bent the hook.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Good luck on the river.

13. slightofhand

slightofhand

Doubt it’s a bad batch. Fluoro doesn’t go bad like mono, it lasts forever if not used. Fluoro is hot when tied and creates friction. Probably a knot issue breaking inside the knot. 20lb sniper is like 30lb line, which is why I don’t use any sniper. Way over rated strength wise. I have seen guys fish 16lb sniper on 15lb rated blanks and destroy them because the leader is mis labeled. Their 8lb breaks at like 15. Not good when you don’t know what you are actually using.

Also check the power rating on your rod blank. That has to be less than 40% of sniper breaking strength(because fluoro knots are generally 20% weaker than stated strength on the label and sniper is like 20% OVER stated strength on the label.

I fished with a guy with a bait caster blowing up 12lb leader on kings. He got pissed at his leader until I showed him his blank was rated 15-25lb. Of course that blank is going to blow up that 12lb leader it’s a 15-25 blank! Nobody pays attention to this stuff or relies on mis labeled products like sniper. My experience anyway. Do your own break tests with the knot you like to use and go from there

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  14. adam bomb

adam bomb

Idk man. 33 years fishing I’ve never had knot issues. Have fished Fluorocarbon a lot and even this brand. I’ve witnessed how awesome it can be first hand. That’s why I chose it for this application. Ive also witnessed its repeated failure which I find hard to believe I’m suddenly causing after all these years fishing. The rods a 10’6” Medium Power moderate action 10-20# rated blank.

15. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Fluorocarbon sucks for knot strength. Why would anyone be impressed that they could lift a 4lb fish with 10lb line? You should be able to lift a 10lb fish.

Fluorocarbon has terrible knot strength. I went through this last spring with 3 different quality brands of 6 lb fluorocarbon. None of them would hold 6lbs with any type of knot. They all broke between 4 and 5.5 lbs. most mono will hold at or above it’s line rating. Copolymer is better.

Get a good scale and try it yourself.

My solution has been to use fluorocarbon coated line such as Pline Fluoroclear. Or upsize your fluorocarbon. You’ll get 6lb performance from 8lb fluorocarbon etc...

Many will disagree. But I’ll still contest. Get a scale tie a knot and give it a pull. Fluorocarbon will tick you off.

Trilene cheats the system by making their 6lb fluor to 8lb diameter. Which is fundamentally crappy 8lb...

Sorry I’m a little ornery this AM, but the poor terminal performance of fluorocarbon grinds my gears...

tincanary and adam bomb like this.