Flossing in Michigan

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by TheoJohn, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Swan Ave. is a 5 mile walk down 88th street

2. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

No this isn’t Chad but he is my neighbor and I don’t think it’s cool for people to trash talk anyone especially an outsider like yourself who’s not from here. If you don’t like flossing then write your congressman for a change. I can’t say I condone it but it’s legal, plain and simple. If you want MI to turn into a place like Oregon where the fishing guide is the size a phonebook and you can’t fart without permission then that’s your opinion. But once again your from the blue side of the state so it doesn’t surprise me with your cnn fact checking and rumors you’ve heard that’s been misconstrued as information flows down the water cooler.

3. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

First rule of Newaygo County is the same as the first rule of Fight Club

troutguy26 likes this.
  4. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

Maybe in white cloud or big prairie

5. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Haven't had the enjoyment of WC in a few months. I should visit the laundromat or UHaul one of these days

troutguy26 likes this.
  6. TheoJohn

TheoJohn

This. This right here is why I started this thread. I don't know Chad, never met him, this thread wasn't posted cause I don't like him or had some vendetta against him. I simply have a lot of different bookmarks to various resources I use as fishing reports to help know when I should get my butt out there. The Betts site just happens to be one of the many links I check when the season is upon us.

Flossing is a subject that comes up a lot on this forum in a negative way, as it should. There was an Ionia case where the DNR suspected someone of purposely "flossing", so we know where the DNR stands on it. The regulations are clear on what snagging is, and hooked in the mouth or not, when someone has "purposeful" intent flossing IS snagging. Sure it's tough to prove someone had "purposeful" intent... unless they come right out and say it like this!

I was simply shocked when I read "Flossing is legal in Michigan" on a professional services page and wondered what everyone else would have to say about that.

Here's how you do it, and we teach and encourage our clients to do it.

I just wanted to share, and know that I'm not alone in how I feel about this.

Yes, this was my first post, I simply just lurk. But this irked me enough to create an account and share.

fishinfever, AdamBradley and riverbob like this.
  7. TheoJohn

TheoJohn

So flossing "IS" legal in Michigan? Or do you really mean accidental flossing?

Straight from the guidebook...
    Snagging: It is unlawful to snag a fish, attempt to snag fish, or keep a fish that has been unlawfully hooked. Taking or attempting to take fish in a manner or methods where the fish does not take, or have the chance to take, the hook voluntarily in its mouth is defined as snagging and is unlawful.

Purposeful flossing fits that last sentence to a tee.

Taking or attempting to take fish in a manner or methods where the fish does not take, or have the chance to take, the hook voluntarily in its mouth is defined as snagging and is unlawful.

I don't see how flossing can be said to be legal by anyone when it's so clearly stated that it is not.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. TheoJohn

TheoJohn

And to be clear, I'm not personally "trash talking" Chad, could care less about his history or record or whatever. Like most people I've met, they end up actually being pretty cool once you get to chat'n and getting to know them. But... his guide service did say "Flossing is legal in Michigan", which is why I pointed it out. I mean, it was news to me that "Flossing is legal in Michigan".

concentroutin likes this.
  9. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

Chuck and duck, bottom bouncing = legal snagging. Flossing = legal snagging. Until there is a limit on leader length it’s flossing so yes it’s legal. You can fish spawning fish on gravel with a long leader which is legal and called: flossing. Oregon has limits on leader lengths etc. MI does not. Hook sizes in certain rivers and locations is pretty much it. I’ve been stopped and had my hooks measured multiple times which aggravated the hell out of me because I was the only person drifting skein in this particular area.

10. TheoJohn

TheoJohn

Seems like a misnomer to me. There is no such thing as "Legal snagging".

11. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

Flossing is legal that is unless you can prove the intentions of the fish, which you can't.

Isn't a little late in the year for a thread like this?

concentroutin and TK81 like this.
  12. jwheelfan03

jwheelfan03

Sure there is. What defines snagging is a matter of ethics not legality. Some people may say flossing or chuck and duck is snagging. Others may say it’s not. If it’s legal to chuck and duck people that think it’s snagging can call it legal snagging. It’s a matter of terminology and an age old debate.

13. eyepod

eyepod

If a fish is hooked in the mouth is it not a legal catch?

14. TheoJohn

TheoJohn

Not if the fish had no intention of biting, having had the hook shoved in its mouth, no its not legal. But yes, proving that isnt possible... unless of course you advertise the fact as such is the case in point that started this thread.

AdamBradley likes this.
  15. eyepod

eyepod

So again Eye ask, if a fish is hooked in the mouth is it not a legal catch? a simple yes or no answer is suffice. Thanks. The answer to that question is specifically stated in the rule book. ;) End of story.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Big Skip, TK81 and sureshot006 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.