Floats and mainline for Center pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Rfish954, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Rfish954

Rfish954

I am new the forum and center pin. I am getting ready to order my first rig and wondering if you experienced floaters can tell me what weight floats you use as well as recommendations for mainline. I typically fish the PM, Manistee and Muskegon rivers for Salmon and Steelhead. I understand that I may want different floats for different water, speed and depth. But if you can give me some ranges I would greatly appreciate.
    Also, any feedback on the Raven Matrix reel paired with the Helix HLX 12'9" rod.

eggfly and slowpaya like this.
  2. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

:Welcome: to Michigan sportsman rfish

3. wyandot

wyandot

I prefer slip floats, and I use the Raven FX model in 7, 10 and 16 gram. I've also ran the FD series Raven in 8, 11 and 16. Lots of other commercially manufactured and custom made floats available , but I think the Raven's are as good a starting point as any.
    As far as main line, I've tried just about every brand of mono you can imagine and all of them worked. The ones I keep going back to are P-line CXX and Suffix Elite in 10lb.

flyrodder46, eggfly and Smalltribguy like this.
  4. nighttime

nighttime

If your fishing for salmon to start off I’d recommend 20#-30# main line and a leader no less then 14#. I like 17 leaders. Although I do fish hydro float i don’t recommend it to start. Blood run has grown on me and cxx and suffix are great lines. I do like something with some type of floating quality. As far as bobbers go, salmon- 12-20 gram depending on water and steel 7-15gram. Seems like raven and bloodrun have some nice bobbers but got tried of finding size and quality so make my own . Research, research, research. It will help with shot patterns and rigging. A ton of info on the web and casting videos. Good luck.

5. eggfly

eggfly

I would recommend the Raven XL reel. I’ve had mine 4-5 years and still love it. When learning to cast I would start with an inexpensive line. I have used Raven line for years and have no major complaints. I do prefer Blood Run but I can’t always find it locally.

I have both fixed stem and sliding floats. When I fish smaller rivers I use fixed floats ranging from 6 to 15 grams. When I fish larger rivers I use sliding floats from 12 to 30 grams.

6. The Ghettoblaster

The Ghettoblaster

I've got a Raven Helix reel. Great starter reel for the price. Have been very happy with it so far. I had Hydrofloat line on my baitcaster float rod and it works good in anything but freezing temps. In cold temps it wants to ice up on the spool (making a smooth drift as it comes back off the spool difficult). I put Raven Mainline hi-vis on my centerpin and have really liked it.
    I like the Raven floats. Good quality for the price.

My buddy that guides uses Raven Matrix's and Raven rods almost exclusively. They hold up well.

7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Welcome!

This is just me:

Floats - 8g in smaller/shallow water, tribs, ohio, streams the size of the little man. Most of the time I run 11g in larger waters like big man, Muskegon, pm, st joe, etc. gives me enough weight to cast the distance needed and change shot patterns around to get into the strike zone how I want. For kings, 15-20g. Allows more weight to punch that chunk of skein down quick into the strike zone. In all cases I recommend some sort of a slip float especially if first starting out and using side casting. Slip floats allow line twist to work itself out through the swivels best in my experience.

Mainline - you will get 100 different answers. Stick to a mono at least at first. You will likely get over runs and you will tangle up and have to pick it apart. Much easier with mono. Some guys switch to braid once comfortable and it is a matter of preference. I still run mono as I prefer its qualities. Good monos I’ve seen buddies use well, or I have used and liked include sufix siege (12 for steel, 17-20 for kings), sunline ff2 (16lb or greater for steel, skip to 25 for kings - thinner line for the rating, best mending/highest floating line on the market imo), or my personal favorite I have run and still am running gamma poly (12 for steel, 17-20 for kings). I personally have 2 lines I would never consider putting on my reel again, they are siglon f, and blood run. Both products are good, however I have noticed too much manufacturing variation in diameter spool to spool and even within the same spool. Varying diameter equates to “good” turning to “bad” when you hit those thin spots when pulling on a snag, or worse, fighting a fish.

A word of caution on some lines - if you run let’s say a 15lb (actual break strength) leader, with a 12 lb (actual break strength main. When you snag, first it is obvious that the main should break first. The second less obvious is I have seen first hand that the mainline will now be stretched like an over stretched spring and will NOT be as strong as it was out of the box not have the same characteristics. So, while most guys won’t do this on purpose, it can certainly happen on accident. Example - a guy runs 12lb labeled sunline ff2, and 10 lb labeled Drennan leader. The scenario described above will happen. On paper the stack should work, but it simply doesn’t. Sunline labels I beleive based on a presumed 100% knot strength, and Drennan drastically underlabels their line even with knot strength considered. So moral of that rant, pay attention to line diameter more so than line ratings and make sure your main is thicker than your leader.

cmueller302, Todder, slowpaya and 4 others like this.
  8. slightofhand

slightofhand

I goto Blood Run Tackle website they got everything on there. I have the 23lb main line for kings on right now and then switch to 15 for steel. Floats it depends on the depth and speed of water you are fishing but anywhere from 6-15 grams will keep you covered. Get an assortment and you will be fine. They are based in Michigan I get my stuff shipped in about a day

9. wyandot

wyandot

I ran the 15lb. Blood run all last season on my steelhead rod. No complaints, it floats good, doesn't get kinky in cold weather, and it held up as well as any of my favorite 10 lb. mono. However, it's awful hard to ignore all the negative feedback this stuff has received. I do hope they've sorted out their issues because when it works as advertised it's a good product.

Treven, AdamBradley and flyrodder46 like this.
  10. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I know they were doing some redesign and refining over the past couple years. Last year in particular they had some guys field testing a line that is somehow more twist resistant and targeted to help those who side cast? Not really sure of how they can make a line do that, or the results. Just know a regular at tippy was purposely side casting over and over and didn’t look like he was having issues?

Soooo maybe they have just refined things and have better products and consistency versus when I gave it a try and inspected a few spools.

GrandGuru likes this.
  11. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I've never had any issues with Bloodrun, and I run a spinning rig. I use the 15lb for everything, and its solid.

slightofhand likes this.
  12. slightofhand

slightofhand

I know it seems strange. Like 90% of guys I know fish it and love it. Goto certain facebook groups and its all bashing. I wonder if they are paid to do that...doesn’t make sense to me, I have great luck with all their stuff big lake and river.

13. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I was one of those bashers a couple of years ago. I tried the BR 10# for Steel and had it break several times before the 6# leader broke. I had normally run 10#CXX and never had this problem. After conversations with BR found out they only rated the 10# to be used with their 6# leader. After switching to the BR 15# for Steel I have not had a problem and love using the stuff. Almost all of my reels now have the BR 15# on them, and will be trying the 23# for Salmon soon.

slightofhand likes this.
  14. nighttime

nighttime

Buddy ran the br #23 last week and paired it up with maxima 15#and he had main line brake many times. He did better with #17 floro/ seaguar, loaned him

15. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I had a fish blow up my 15lb BR main before the 12lb flouro lead last week. It was tree bound, so I tightened up and pop.