Floating the Au Sable with a drift boat

Discussion in 'North - North East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by duckhunter17, Apr 7, 2018.

1. duckhunter17

duckhunter17

Good afternoon!

I am looking to float the Au Sable with my drift boat. I have never been there before. Not sure where a good access point is to drop in at and where to take out. Looking to target steelhead and browns. Any info would be great. Thanks!

2. duckduster

duckduster

if you are looking for Chrome, then u need to fish from below the Foote dam out to the lake.
    there is a ramp on Rea rd, up near the dam. you can float it all the way back to Oscoda.

3. Kyle Maliszewski

Kyle Maliszewski

I second Duckduster. Good luck!

-Kyle

4. unclecrash

unclecrash

How long is that float if you just stayed on the boat and went with the current.

5. Bighunther

Bighunther

8 to10 hours I'd say I think there's float times somewhere. I'll try looking them up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

unclecrash likes this.
  6. BassFisher91

BassFisher91

Last little bit to Oscoda you'll be rowing, or at least I do. Current gets pretty slow. If you have a motor on your drift boat that'd be preferred...

unclecrash likes this.
  7. unclecrash

unclecrash

8. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

I would recommend doing segments, example, rea-whirlpool, whirlpool-lynns, lynns-the mouth... a lot of water to try to fish in one day. Good luck

unclecrash and Kyle Maliszewski like this.
  9. Fishndude

Fishndude

MapleRiverSalmon is right. If you intend to fish, break it down into either the upper half, lower half, or one of the lowest stretches for a day. I've rowed (my motorized boat) out in the dark before, and it isn't as much fun as it sounds. If you just want to row your driftboat down the river, you can do the entire thing in a day. It is only 10.5 miles from the dam to the mouth. Whirlpool launch is roughly halfway.