Float rod build for salmon?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by nighttime, May 17, 2020.

1. nighttime

nighttime

Anyone fish ether one of these blanks for salmon? Any input? Really want something 11’6” but like the 10-17# rating?
    Thanks for reply’s in advance

IMMCP116M-2TC

XST1324F

2. Stlhdlvsmatter

Stlhdlvsmatter

Sage 3113 mb you won't be sorry

nighttime likes this.

3. nighttime

nighttime

Yeah if I can find one, looks to be older model. All the sage guys love their stuff, maybe someday. Budget is in mind as I just dropped almost 1000$ on rod building kit. The idea is I plan on building several rods a year for years. Even though I have ton of rods now some are beat or not exactly what I want. Both of my sons are young but are fishing now and rather build than buy. With that in mind rod will be in my boys hands, so won’t feel as bad if something goes wrong. In the future as I get better I’ll spend more but probably for steel as I tear up my salmon stuff up pretty good.

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I’ve built on the 1324, it’s a decent blank for big steel and kings. I have not built on, or handled the immortal or the sage.

A step up in my personal opinion from the 1324 anyway is the 10-20 lamiglas. I can’t compare it to the sage or immortal. But it’s a tank, and has a nice parabolic loading without corking at all. After using it this winter in Washington on trophy class wild steel, I’m very happy with the pair I built up for centerpin. I currently have a spiral baitcaster in the works specifically for kings on this blank and I am excited to fish it this fall. Just another blank id recommend considering. Hope it helps!

GrandGuru and nighttime like this.
  5. nighttime

nighttime

10/4 thanks for input! I’ve never bought a fishing rod and said this is the one forever lol. I plan on building several salmon rods and would like a lami build and few other higher end rods. I’m a little more budget oriented for first few builds. I highly value other anglers experiences with equipment and knowledge, definitely take note for other builds down the line.

6. wyandot

wyandot

I've owned one of the 11'6 Immortal rods for several years. It's a good all-around blank, but it's a little bit light for a full blown king-rod, especially if you like to horse them. I owned one of the 1324's for a season, and built quite a few for others and they perform reasonably well. I agree with Adam, buy the Lamiglas, if for no other reason than it's made in the USA.

nighttime likes this.
  7. Floater

Floater

I built a skein stick on a North Fort Composites blank last year and couldn't be happier. 12'6" rated for 10-20lb line.

nighttime likes this.
  8. GrandGuru

GrandGuru

Invest in a Lamiglas 10-20#

nighttime likes this.
  9. salmonsteel97

salmonsteel97

I love my 1324, never had a issue with big fish. Lots of power. Haven’t fished the lamiglas, but I’m sure it would do well too. I really like the 11’ length of the rainshadow though.

nighttime likes this.
  10. nighttime

nighttime

So as I’m digging through different blanks I see the lami 10-20 is 10’6”? I thought it was the closer blank, but closer is 10-17.
    Really price point isn’t bad on ether, considering what I’ve paid for factory rods but still itching yet.

11. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Ok I’ll try to get technical with my view of the two blanks. Maybe it’ll help more.... Both are good blanks, the 1324, and the lamiglas. Both rods have put true trophy fish into the net for me. I just have to fight fish slightly different with each blank, which I will get into.

You are correct, the price difference isn’t far off. The lamiglas 10-20 I have referred to, and I’m sure the others are referring to is the latest heavy closer model - the 10-20 which has replaced the 10-17.

For me personally, I lean into fish hard. One buddy describes it as “you fight fish like an ape”... I’m not sure if that was a compliment or an insult, but either way I suppose it’s true haha!

Anyway, with “fighting fish like an ape” I think the parabolic loading of the lami really helps me compared to the 1324. It never really hits a “bottom” of action, even though I’ve leaned as hard as I could into it a few times, I’ve never felt it cork either. When comparing that to the 1324, the 1324 does become a little more “straight” without corking in the bottom 1/3 under a heavy load.

Functionally, what I’ve found is this action is more like a spey blank in the lami, which i like. It wears down the fish with the entire load of the rod, all while providing an extra little bit of dampening effect during the heavy loaded rod with a couple of unexpected large head shakes. I’ve found it to translate into less pulled hooks, and less broken leaders in use.

Now that’s all speaking muscle memory, and “ape fish fighting”. When I run the 1324 (which I still own 1), I have to be more aware of how I’m fighting a fish, telling myself to “bow down” and angle down on runs and head shakes a bit more to fight the fish more into the butt section to prevent pulled hooks or busted leaders since it doesn’t bend as deep and eventually hits a bit of a “wall” in action at about the bottom 1/3 mark. That’s not a bad thing though for guys that fight fish a bit more gingerly than I do. And as I said, it has also put trophy fish in the net for me.

The maneuverability of the 11’ 1324 versus the 12’ is negligible from my experience in drift boats and jet boats. Same for bank fishing even on smaller flows. I like the extra foot personally for a bit more controlled mend on larger streams, but a foot doesn’t play a massive role in that either. The 12’ does give a tad more tip weight, but nothing at all that wears on my shoulder.

ok, I said it would be technical haha sorry, not sure what else I could cover for ya. I hope it helps in your decision.

salmonsteel97 and nighttime like this.
  12. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Oh, and to add one more thought, before the introduction of the closer lamiglas model, the go-to blank I had found on the market for heavy fish was in fact the 1324. So you’re definitely considering a couple of good blanks for the application.

salmonsteel97 and nighttime like this.
  13. nighttime

nighttime

Thank you much Adam!

14. nighttime

nighttime

To my welcome surprise lamiglas is have sale this holiday weekend and free shipping over 100$, 10-20 closer shipped 191.25$, I didn’t think twice on purchasing it.

AdamBradley and salmonsteel97 like this.
  15. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

No problem at all. Also - congrats on the sale find! Great price on a blank made here in the states.

nighttime likes this.