Float Fishing set ups

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by ano, Jan 13, 2019.

1. FishBumTackle

FishBumTackle

Go with a Baitcaster. Lamiglas makes a budget 9'6" medium 6-15 X-11 rod for $100 but I run a St croix avid ML 10'6" and it is a sweet stick. Not too much meat for 8lb leads, but enough to run 10 if need be. Perfect rod for this application in my opinion.

Cat Power and Trout King like this.
  2. FishBumTackle

FishBumTackle

For reel I run a Revo SX 7.3:1. Great reel and has caught me well over 150 steelhead since October with no issues.

Cat Power likes this.

3. Troutguy12

Troutguy12

Fenwick makes their hmx in a 9 ft casting, you can definitely throw 8lb leader comfortably, and get a good drift. 9ft might be a little short for the larger rivers but it will do.

4. Trout King

Trout King

I have the 9'6 X-11 and it is one of my favorite overall rods for salmon and steelhead. Can use 6lb leader for super low clear water steel and have enough give to not constantly break off and on the other end of the spectrum can go with 12-15lb leader and boss kings around. For the price it is hard to beat. The downside is the length being a bit short for bigger water.

GrandGuru and flyrodder46 like this.
  5. Eco

Eco

What line do you like on this set up?

6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Any low memory line will work, I have been running Sufix ProMix for a couple of years, just picked up the Sufix Advance and plan to use it Fri. for the first time. From reports it will do just fine.

7. tincanary

tincanary

I do all my float and drift fishing with a baitcaster. If you have good spool bearings, you'll get a nice drift going. The reels I drift and float with have no brakes at all on them. It's all in the spool tension.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. StormyChromer

StormyChromer

Same here, Lamiglas 9'6 X-11 is great rod for the price.
    I’ve got a 13 Fishing Concept A3 on it and couldn’t be happier.

9. tincanary

tincanary

I have an old Abu Pro Max 3600 on my drift rod. I recently changed out the gears from 5.3:1 to 6.3:1, added a carbon fiber drag, and some Boca Lightning ceramic hybrid spool bearings. She free spools like nobody's business.

[​IMG]