Float Fishing set ups

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by ano, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ano

ano

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on set ups for float fishing steel. I know that Centerpins seem to be the big thing now but I am not sure Grandma can deal with palming or fingering the line for drag. She is used to using open face reels and bottom bouncing. I am thinking a good baitcaster reel and longer casting rod may be a good approach to the "float presentation" with a drag to fight the fish. We always fish from the boat. Might consider getting one of each style; centerpin and baitcaster.

I appreciate any insight and wisdom.
    Thanks

2. Trout King

Trout King

If she is used to open face reels she can use those for float fishing too. CPs and baitcasters have a little bit of a learning curve to casting and CP reels takes a little to learn how much pressure to apply.

If you are going to fish in winter, the pins get cold on the hands, or at least for me. I'm selling my CP because I mostly fish winter and just don't use it enough.

Troutguy12 and BMARKS like this.

3. BMARKS

BMARKS

I agree with trout king on this one. the CP gets cold as all heck. i went all in and bought a whole setup and it just never captured me like it does some. that's saying nothing against a pin and their users, just wasn't for me.

Trout King likes this.
  4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

5. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

This rod is available in the im6 version now as well for about $229

6. hard head

hard head

Check this out it may give you some insight as what you can do from a boat and spinning rod

7. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

That sure looks like a lot of work just to use a spinner. I am sure that it would eventually become second nature if used a lot. I have used a spinner years ago to try to float fish. It was a pain to use with the line bedding, extra time/effort needed to set the hook, for me so much nicer and easier to use a CP or a baitcaster when set up correctly. Actually I think that a BC is the best way to start out float fishing, as there is not a real learning curve to get good casts for the beginner. If you use a good reel that has the air brake, or similar system, there are very few backlashes and it basically becomes a one hand operation except for the winding in.

tincanary, Treven and Trout King like this.
  8. ano

ano

Thanks for the input everyone. We have tried the spincasting before and like Flyrodder states it can be a pain although the Betts video was pretty cool. In the past we have just opened up the bail and let the bobber drift out the back of the boat (as opposed to casting) but you get the memory of the monofilmant. From what I have read it lookis like a floating braid backer with a leader would work good with a BC dropping them out the back of the boat. I will be sure to ask about an airbrake when looking at reels. On the spincast I am Maxima 8# & 6# leader.

9. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Spinning setups are all about how you set them up. Get a 13' rod, 4000 series reel, a good float fishing line, and you'll be running bobbers just fine. Especially if you're just plopping off the back of a boat. That's about as simple as it gets.

hard head, salmonsteel97 and kellyman like this.
  10. Carpmaster

Carpmaster

The baitcaster is pretty easy. My wife just bought me an 8.5:1 Shimano Curado for my spiral wrapped BC rod and it is slick. I still use my pins but that BC is the bomb on big water and to mix it up.

gotoith likes this.
  11. kingfisher72

kingfisher72

Closed faced spinning reels with a trigger make good float fishing reels. They are widely used for trotting floats in Europe. There are European models you can find online that have good high quality drags just as good as most open faced spinning reels have these days.

Functionally the operate more similarly to spinning reels and would work with any float rod you have now. No need to obtain a specialized bait casting rod.

12. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

Do you know any brands? Can’t seem to find any.

13. kingfisher72

kingfisher72

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  14. kingfisher72

kingfisher72

I used a Zebco 33, similar to the above Daiwa, to float fish in the 90's before centerpins were widely available here in the States. Looks like they only make a mini version now? That Daiwa in the large size would probably work well but I've never handled that one personally.

The first centerpin I bought way back when had a carp engraved on it. I assume every trout I ever hooked was a disappointment to it ;)

eggfly likes this.