close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fixing a leaky boat

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by RoadKillCafe, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RoadKillCafe

RoadKillCafe

My father-in-law has a leak that seems to be where the aluminum boat rests against the front trailer bumper. Is there an easy (cheap) way to fix it without taking it apart (there's a metal plate covering on the front bow)? If not, is there any recommended places to take it near Alpena, Cheyboygan, or Petoskey?

Thanks!

2. MuskieLund

MuskieLund

We patched an old aluminum row boat using Marine-Tex. Follow the directions, and the stuff will hold.

We also used it to repair a cracked lower unit. We filled the crack with Marine-Tex, sanded it flush after it cured, and painted it. It ran another 7 years until we traded motors.

I've also seen sticks that you can use to "weld" using a propane torch. I haven't tried them.

3. RyGuy525

RyGuy525

find some one who knows how to weld and weld's very well. It's an easy job if you know how to lay a good bead down.

4. eddiejohn4

eddiejohn4

aluminum weld( durafix) is a good product. It is easy to work with . Need just a torch.

5. RoadKillCafe

RoadKillCafe

FYI, I took the boat to Boat Works in Charleviox, they seemed to be the only one around that would actually work on aluminum boats. They are sealing the strip along the bottom. Originally they were going to drill out the rivets and repair it that way, but after looking at it they said it would be very expensive and take quite a long time to do that. I also had the engine tuned up, the winch on the trailer replaced (didn't realize it was broken), and the prop repaired (bro-in-law must have been chopping rocks with it). I'll be taking it for a test run next weekend .. woohoo!