Fishing Shirts

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by B.Jarvinen, Jul 10, 2020.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

These days, "the Book" - the one that starts with a capital "F" - knows all. And lately it knows I might like one of these nifty fishing shirts with long sleeves, a built in hood - OR a roll up neck gaiter option dealio, moisture wicking technology to fool you into thinking you won't sweat wearing one I guess, etc., etc. Sure, they seem designed for the guys chasing bonefish on the salt flats 14 hours a day or something, but I am rather allergic to sunshine, or at least should be if I want to chase Trout under the Alders after I turn one hunnert some day.

I confess I do want one. I might even use it while working instead of fishing, oh the horror, the horror.

Any reviews of these things? I figure that famous sports shop along near to that four lane to Da Bridge named after my favorite letter just might have some of these in stock for me to peruse in person, but their online shopping type website leaves a little to be desired on what fishin' stuff they might or might not have.

Any reviews of these items?

2. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I don't wear one but the charter Captain's down south all do. The enemy of their business is the sun and the risk of cancer. I don't blame them a bit and if you're sun sensitive, I'd consider it. SPF 50 sunscreen applied every couple of hours is what I do.

3. tincanary

tincanary

I wear the Hanes Cool Dri long sleeve shirts, they're almost like the Huk shirts for a quarter the money. I get two of them for $18, 100% polyester and UPF 50.

4. Chasin Tales

Chasin Tales

Sam's Club is carrying them with and without hoods. Might be worth checking

5. I have had skin cancer and I am very susceptible to burning so I have purchased several brands of the spf50 shirts. While some were much cheaper I have settled on the Columbia PFG long sleeve shirts. The biggest difference between them and LL Bean, UnderArmor and the Aftco that I own are fit and comfort. The Columbia when purchased in you regular size fits loosely and the seams do not rub or irritate your skin. The others all seem to have fit and comfort issues IMHO. The can be found on sale for as little as $25.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6Speed likes this.
  6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

My wife bought me some "sleeves" from Deluth. They're made of the same material as the Chillos underwear so they keep you cool and protected to. The sell for $25 and they do work well. Just an idea.

I love the Chillos underwear in the summer. They keep my junk cool and comfortable in the shop on hot days....

IMG_20200712_125454041.jpeg

7. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

I woish all shrt makers would ask the customers about sizing.

I and some others seem to need more room in the belly but my shouldrs havent grown. 2xl will put the sleeves practically to my elbows but IO dont need it there. How about you??

Glock1911 likes this.
  8. Feather Mucker

Feather Mucker

I kayak fish 2-3 times a week... if on a weekend the floats are 5-9 hours. I started out with just the long sleeve but have now been converting to LS with hoods. I generally wear a hat, but even if you don't put the hood up, it protects the back of your neck better. Still sunscreen up the hands and ears, legs and feet, no sunburns so far this year. Also the hood works great when the mosquitoes start coming out.

Have not embraced the neck gator/face mask thing. They just fit too tight for me.

9. tincanary

tincanary

I have a hooded Columbia fishing shirt I wear on the trout streams, keeps the bugs away pretty good.

10. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

I have been pondering the built-in hoods for the bug defense, for both working and fishing. I use a neck shader designed to attach to a hard hat for that already - but is fluoro orange and not something I want to wear trout fishing.

Shopping these at Jay’s was disappointing. They had 1-2 of these style of shirts from every manufacturer. But none matched the features I wanted (hood) to a pretty basic size request: “L”

“We can order that.”
    “Maybe the other store has some.”

That’s not why I go into a retail store. So will have to continue pondering these and finally order one online I guess. I spent my money on a pair of permethrin-laced pants for discouraging ticks while working. At $100, that was enough on the clothes budget that day.

The F-book ads for these I see are now driven as much by using them for work as for fishing.

Glock1911 likes this.
  11. tincanary

tincanary

Check out the Columbia PFG hooded shirts. I got the dark green/olive color. They run about $40, well worth it.

12. Stand By

Stand By

If you check large, coastal tackle dealers, you can find deals on some pretty interesting fishing designs. UPF 50. The moisture wicking actually helps keep you cool, also. Started wearing one in the keys and was surprised at how well they worked. Dry fast too.

13. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Got one from there.

14. tincanary

tincanary

How much do they run? I didn't know Sam's sold those. I usually go there for paper towel and toilet paper, never paid much attention to the clothing.

15. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I have the ones from under armour. I think they call them iso chill. I have 4 different colors (not that it matters) and love them to death. Think I paid 50$ a shirt for them. I ordered xl and they fit loosely and are very comfortable. Just my 2 cents