Fishing Harassment on a Public Lake.

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by Loryn's Dad, May 31, 2020.

1. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I have caught some real nice fish under those platforms when the owner is vacant from his or her place.

Bucket-Back likes this.
  2. miruss

miruss

Have we had any CO'S weigh in on this NEW interpretation of the rule yet? I haven't been able to find it in a search yet ! I know they have ruled that like some are saying others can hunt the stand in pasts posts ! Which would mean your brother,sister, wife and others couldn't use the stand ether legally because THEIR name isn't on the stand.

3. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

Or if it's not being used in the early morning :)

ridgewalker likes this.
  4. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

No where in Michigan law, nor in the Wildlife Conservation Order does it state that someone else can use another's tree stand without permission and without permanently attaching their name and address, complete Michigan driver’s license number, or DNR sportcard number on it.

The Michigan Hunting Digest states:
    "NOTICE: This brochure is not a legal notice or a complete collection of hunting regulations and laws. It is a condensed digest issued for hunters’ convenience."

On page 25, it states: "Your name on a tree stand or ground blind on public land does not guarantee exclusive use."
    That doesn't mean a thing. It shouldn't be in the Guide at all since there is nothing in the law, rules, or the Wildlife Conservation Order relating to that.

5. brookie1

brookie1

It's worded a little better in the wildlife conservation order, at least concerning ground blinds:

(4) The placement or use of a ground blind on publicly owned lands shall in no way convey exclusive hunting rights to the area surrounding that blind.

Maybe that's what they were going for. I never believed the interpretation that stands could be used by others.

DirtySteve likes this.
  6. miruss

miruss

Can you show where anyone has received a ticket or has been charged just for hunting out of someone else's tree stand ! Just for hunting out of the stand not hunting after dark or no license.

7. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

Don't know if a LEO has been called for that.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I know someone who was asked to leave his stand for 24hrs because he didnt have his name on it. He was given a warning and told to put his name on the stand and not hunt it for 24 hrs.

I know it isnt the same as hunting someone elses stand but he was told he could be ticketed for hunting an illegal stand. For the record he was given a ticket for a different offense (overbaiting) and warned about the illegal stand issue.

Petronius likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Can you give a similar example where you can use another persons personal property without permission? If you can use my treestand what about my moored boat or camper? Whats the difference?

10. miruss

miruss

Because it's spelled out in the hunting digest !! Your name on your tree stand on PUBLIC land does NOT guarantee exclusive use !

11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The guide in the past has always said use of the area. For some reason they recently left that off verbage. The law still says use of the area.

I used to believe the law was as you state. I have made arguments in the past supporting your view......until i was corrected on this site by a CO. Nothing in the michigan law says you have the right to use another persons property.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    MossyHorns and Petronius like this.
  12. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

The Hunting Digest is not law. It is not compiled by the DNR legal department. I would bet a bunch of interns work on it.
    Stating that having your name on the stand does not guarantee your exclusive use means nothing. Don’t read into it something that isn’t there. It doesn’t state that anyone else has the right to use it.

The Michigan Hunting Digest states:
    "NOTICE: This brochure is not a legal notice or a complete collection of hunting regulations and laws.

Luv2hunteup and DirtySteve like this.
  13. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

:confused: I thought that this was a fishing thread. ;)

14. sgc

sgc

Wow, i thought the same thing when i read the original post.

Richard Cranium and ESOX like this.
  15. toto

toto

Justin and Bucket-Back like this.