Fishing gear?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by TN Gal, May 9, 2018.

1. TN Gal

TN Gal

We're coming from Tennessee to fish, rented a house in Cedarville, on the water. My husband fished the Great Lakes years ago, with borrowed tackle. We don't typically catch big fish here, what do we need? Lures? Live bait? We have basic supplies for here, hooks, bobbers, sinkers. Any advice is appreciated, don't want to spend a fortune, because this is our first family fishing trip. Our son is not big into fishing at this time. Thank you for any help, I'm a planner, and he's more the wait until we get there to ask!

2. piketroller

piketroller

When are you going to be up there? Are you looking for whatever is biting or do you have any target species? There can be decent fishing there, but you would have done better by going another 30 east out to Drummond Island.

3. mjh4

mjh4

For perch try the double hook perch rigs with a bell sinker on the bottom (shiner minnows).for walleye 3" power grubs in chartreuse or white tipped with a chunk of night crawler(jigging) or troll stick baits or a crawler harness. Small or largemouth bass pretty much anything you'd use in Tennessee will work i like hitting any structure with strike king or rapala cranks. Also can't go wrong with a old fashioned worm and bobber (you never know what you might catch). You'll be fine with medium light spinning gear and 8# test. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. TN Gal

TN Gal

Sorry. Memorial week.

5. TN Gal

TN Gal

Thank you. I will see what I can get at our bait shop. He said something about walleye, and I'm interested in salmon. Anything different on those? Or not the right time of year? Memorial week.

6. mjh4

mjh4

For salmon and trout you could use moonshine or pro King salmon spoons maybe little cleos there's a ton of spoons made for salmon with thousands of colors for the Great Lakes your best bet is to buy a few different colors and give em try.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

7. TN Gal

TN Gal

Thank you!

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

There will be Steelhead spawning in rivers in that area, Memorial Day weekend. Any local tackle shop can set you up with minimal tackle to fish for them.

9. piketroller

piketroller

Water temps will still be cold, probably around 50 degrees on average, colder out on the Lake Huron side and a little warmer in the backs of the bays. If you are set up to do salmon trolling you can get a mixed bag of salmon and trout just off the outer edge of the islands. If you are not set up for this, pretend you are bass fishing in and around the vegetation and you should do well on pike and bass. All the little bays run basically from the northwest to the southeast. The northwest ends will have the weeds while the southeast ends are very sandy. For instance you’ll find decent weeds in the northwest ends of The Moscoe Channel, Cedarville Bay, Sheppard Bay, etc, while Wilderness Bay and Urie Bay will be barren. This has to do with the prevailing winds out of the west causing sand to build up on west facing shorelines, just like the whole Michigan coast of Lake Michigan.

There are two types of weeds - emergent (standing reeds) and submergent (pond weed, cabbage, etc). When the locals up there talk about fishing the weeds for pike, they are talking about emergent vegetation. Casting the reeds with anything fairly weedless will work, like bass style spinnerbaits, weedless spoons, and swim jigs dressed with soft plastics. There are fish in the submergent weeds too, but they are harder to find this early in the season and the locals don’t seem to focus on them as much.

Perch will probably be moving in to spawn as well. It isn’t a well known area for walleye but you might get one here or there. From Drummond Island north up the St Mary’s River system is where you’ll find tons of walleye.

10. TN Gal

TN Gal

Thank you, I will research tackle shops!!

11. TN Gal

TN Gal

Great info! Thank you! We rented a bigger boat for 2 days this morning. Going with a smaller one other days.

12. piketroller

piketroller

From the satellite photos it looks like the last ice up there finally disappeared sometime between May 1 and May 5. That’s a little later than normal.

The DNR posts a weekly fishing report, with the Cedarville and Hessel area near the bottom.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_82449---,00.html

If you play around on the DNR site you can also find archived reports from the past three years as well.

13. TN Gal

TN Gal

Great! I will check that out, thanks!