fish finder advice.........

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by CrankyThunder, May 29, 2020.

1. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

Thinking about a fish finder...…I have zero experience and know absolutely nothing about them.

I have a drift boat that I have used in the rivers for trout and salmon fishing. no need for a fish finder there!

Lately, I been putting the outboards on the boat and heading out to local lakes and such. Blind. Never fished these lakes before Getting skunked mostly even when I am doing the old night crawler harness dead slow for walleye that works so good where I used to live.

What should I look for, what models are available, is used a way to go? Million questions, actually don't know enough to know what questions to ask.

Teach me.

2. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

For a driftboat you might need a through-hull transducer at midship

3. CDN1

CDN1

Start small and learn how to use and understand what you see. Don't buy one without GPS! it lets you mark places you catch fish and return to those spots. For the price have a look at the Garmin Striker series or the hummingbird helix series. Personally the striker 4, I have one on my bow...is a great unit for about $120bucks. Has gps but not charts....if you want charts you have to up the price. the helix are good or the Garmin echo maps . Lowrence hook series is also an option, investigate them all. Once you settle on a brand you like stick with it, just for familiarity of use. Good luck, watch lots of YouTube. There are people way more educated than I on this site. I'm sure they a will add some useful info.

Crestliner 16 likes this.
  4. rd2690

rd2690

I recommended the Helix by humming bird, and you can get a shoot through hull transducer that epoxies to the hull. You mail back the transom transducer and they will send you the replacement. I fish Lake Erie and have never had a need for side or down imaging so I can’t speak to those but they make the units cost a lot more. I’ve had lowrance in the past and hated them. Raymarine are really slick but pricy. I’ve only played with one and never fished with it.

5. Zkovach1175

Zkovach1175 Premium Member

I have a Garmin striker 4 and a helix 5. The maps are cool on the helix but I find the Garmin to be more user friendly and simplistic

6. CDN1

CDN1

I had a helix 5 and bought the striker 4.....liked the Garmins user friendly-ness
    so much more I upgraded the helix to a Garmin Echomap 9 for the dash. The active captain is a cool feature also.