First timer on Detroit river?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by natureboy2534, Mar 21, 2017.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Finally after 5 years of trying to get down there it happening. .Im a Saginaw river guy and have all the jigs and other essential stuff to use, I can control the lines good and stay vertical. Been doing a ton of looking on this site and others to get info. But ALWAYS hear about the lines at ramps and short tempers. Im just there to catch a biggin and snap a picture and away she goes..So i guess im just looking for stuff you dont think of while down there and what awaits me when i get there.Were going out of Ecorse or Wyandotte launch. We have A 2.5 hour drive and will probably be the only time we go this year. Was shooting for this Saturday, but rains might push us back a week. Also not staying over night down there so its a 1 day deal..Any insight will be great full. .PMs are welcome..

Walleye Wizard and growninmi like this.
  2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

I'd wait at least a week for better fishing.

3. chubbychaser1

chubbychaser1

Oh buddy, you can count on those long lines at the ramp.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  4. onebad800

onebad800

i agree wait week least just fished sunday and nothing there yet

5. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

If the weather is like today, I would hit the river, otherwise give it a week and hit it it early. Wyandotte ramp may be only ramp for mid river( unless someone has better info) and Lake Erie Metro. Good luck

6. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

We will be arriving between 7 or 8 in morning. Do the lots fill up quick at those times. Just dont want to drive 2 hours to not have a spot to park, does this ever happen?

7. john decker

john decker

I would wait until the first or second weekend in april.should be good no's in the river by then.we have done one dayers down there and with the 3am departure time and a day on the water you are pretty much toast after that.5 hr energies are your friend.did I mention if going out of wyandott get there at 5,530am or your going to be in line for a hour or more.i prefer to launch downriver at Elizabeth or LEMP,things seem to go faster at these 2 launches.they are getting some hogeyes outta sterling st park if you want to troll right now. edit,add: most lots will be full and closed by 8am.best bet for second shift anglers is probably LEMP as they have a big parking lot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

7-8 arrival is probably not gonna work out well for you... yes lots fill up. might find something around lunch?

9. lastflight

lastflight

If you go this weekend there won't be lines or full parking lots. But, there will be very cold water and low fish numbers. If you wait another week or two there will be better water conditions and fish numbers but also long lines and full lots.

If you come on a weekend in early April I recommend getting to the launch by 6 or 6:30 at the latest if you want a parking spot. Or like SS said, get there around noon and fish the afternoon shift.

Don't let all of this stuff deter you from coming. We all complain about it but we put up with it because of the potential this fishery has.

WormSoaker and natureboy2534 like this.
  10. wallerchamon

wallerchamon

Or come on a weekday if you can, lot less pressure than the weekends

48180 Hunter and natureboy2534 like this.
  11. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

Yes if you get there between 7 or 8 on a Saturday much beyond this Saturday, you're gonna have a bad time.

12. Zib

Zib

If you're getting to the ramps at mid-river at 7 or 8 you'll be waiting to launch & you'll have to park the truck & trailer out on the streets. I've gotten to the Ecorse ramp at 5:30 & didn't launch until 7:00.

Also, I haven't heard on whether or not if the Ecorse ramp is going to be open this year or not. If it's not then launching is going to be even worse mid river.

natureboy2534 and growninmi like this.
  13. Fishndude

Fishndude

Can you keep your lines vertical in 28 - 52 feet of water? Most people use heavier jigs on the Detroit River, than they do on the Saginaw River. Usually 5/8oz - 1oz. Other than that, it is the same game.

14. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Not sure about 28-52 fow, but got to learn sometime..We use either 3/8 or 1/2 in Saginaw. We just poured a bunch of 3/4 and 1oz last weekend, so we should be good..Cant wait...Hope all the stars align. ..

wallerchamon likes this.
  15. 50incher

50incher

Wait a tad and do everything possible to avoid the weekends....week days are bad enough....best of luck....it's still a little early like some have suggested....cheers....

Also the bite can be very early or whenever too.....plan a whole day if possible and watch the weather.....