First season under my belt but have questions

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by westsideNewbie, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. westsideNewbie

westsideNewbie

Ok so i've got my first season down...but i've only hunted one area and thats because it was only one of two that I saw listed in my area by the DNR map as a state sanctioned waterfowl hunting area. Im confused because I hear people talking about hunting public access lakes and I want to make sure that if I do the same im not somehow violating a law ( which there seem to be lots of with even more interpretations of). So my question is, is there a definitive way to know that a lake or river that I may want to hunt is legal to do so. Do I just need to contact the DNR to ensure every place I look at is legal for waterfowl.... any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Sampsons_owner

Sampsons_owner

Welcome to the addiction. What area of the west side are you in? And you might want to look at the thread above yours that outlines Riparian rights. It answers a lot of questions but if you have others please ask away. Steve

3. westsideNewbie

westsideNewbie

Im actually in Holland, well just outside of the city in laketown township. I'd been hunting the grand haven game area, just looking for other options. Already built a nice new duck boat since what i was using previously was not adequate.

JSchipper likes this.
  4. ajkulish

ajkulish

Another approach is to do a lot of scouting, find the areas the birds use, and ask for permission from the landowner to hunt that private property. Typically leads to a better harvest, and it is way more clear cut than trying to navigate riparian rights.

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Lots of opportunity in the Allegan State Game area. To be totally clear you are legal, you can stick to water in or totally surrounded by state land, and still have plenty of spots. Although most of them are not a secret to any body. I hunted one that was a heck of a kayak drag and portage to, late in the season on a week day only to find someone had come in from the other side and beat me there. Then when I drove out there was a lake with 4 woodies swimming just off the road. Really?

I shot my first duck in a silage field at the SE corner of 145th and 62nd back in 1988. Actually shot a limit of two mallards with two shots from my new to me 20. There were a lot fewer houses and a lot more ducks and geese using that area back then. Have some photos of piles of birds that flew in from Mac that we shot where today there's a school and condos off 147th. Also, the birds from the pier and Lake Michigan would fly down the coast and cut through a gap in the dunes to head inland to feed in the corn, and we'd sit in the boat in about 5' of water just off shore and take ridiculous pass shots at them as if we sailed them they'd crash into the dune and were easy to find, but a #@$@# to climb up and get. This is when tungsten matrix just came out. Ah, to be young and dumb again.

6. westsideNewbie

westsideNewbie

I actually live on 62nd, the fields get geese on occasion and every now and again we may see some high flyers. The area's better for deer and turkey now, tons of them. Filled all my tags this year with a crossbow from inside my house.

Highball28 likes this.
  7. #1 Gun

#1 Gun

I usually contact the local authorities, (local,county, or state police), either by phone one on patrol. Tell them what you want and where you want to hunt. Ask about any local ordinances that may hinder your hunt. I also ask to whom I'm talking to and write their name and job position down for a reference just to cover myself in case your stopped by another officer. They've been really helpful for me in the past. One time in the U.P. the officer was a fellow duck hunter and told me where a good place was to launch my boat and hunt.

8. charcoal300zxtt

charcoal300zxtt

Pick yourself up a Michigan Atlas Gazetteer. Your welcome :)