First season hunting

Discussion in 'MichiganSmallGame.com' started by Gstan1, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Gstan1

Gstan1

I have been an avid fisherman and decided to take up hunting this season 2017-2018.
    Shot my first deer, a few geese and a few squirrels. Got out squirrel hunting about 25 times and shot about 20. I think I like it better than the deer and geese hunting.
    I'm still not sure if I like the 22 or the 410 better. Might buy a Savage 42 combo next year and have the best of both worlds. Anyone have one?

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Welcome to the fold, glad you are enjoying your new found pastime, congrats. I prefer a 22, just don't think a scattergun is the right tool for the job. I hate picking little bb's out of my food. Much easier to just pop em in the noggin with a 22, but that is MY OPINION.

Hunters Edge likes this.

3. wkendwarrior82

wkendwarrior82

I loved my marlin 22 until I bought a 17 hmr bolt action now that’s the only gun I take squirrel hunting they have better accuracy for shots past 50 and no need for follow up shots if u r alittle off. I’ve hit squirrels from 100 yds off shooting sticks with my 17. I thought about getting a 17 super mag for awhile but if u don’t coyote hunt then a 17 super mag is too much for squirrels in my opinion

Jes2 likes this.
  4. Gstan1

Gstan1

I already worry about shooting my 22 up in the air. I think my anxiety level would go up even higher with a 17

5. wpmisport

wpmisport

A quality pellet gun is very good now and will do less damage to the meat. They can shoot as far as you need to for small game.

jr28schalm likes this.
  6. Waif

Waif

Congrats on the trying out different game.
    Never owned one but a .22 mag over 20 used to appeal in the Savage model 24's.
    Used a 410 a while. Passed shots about like using a .22.

7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

20/25 seems like pretty good success. Congrats! I'm with 357, rifle over scattergun...because of the pellets.

Do you walk a lot or sit a lot, or combination? Public or private?

8. Gstan1

Gstan1

Thanks. Averaging about one squirrel every time out didn't seem like much but some days are good and some days I get skunked. Been hunting all private land, I'm very fortunate. I've done a combination of walking and sitting too. Some days they just don't seem to come out when I'm sitting. If you walk around it seems like you spook them and you can either shoot at them or see where they go.

9. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Makes sense. One of my best days a few years ago was a warm, damp Sept mid day after church. I set out down the horse trails at a slow creep. After cresting a rise, the squirrels would often be on or near the trail. Reacted exactly like you described. Only had 90 minutes that day and killed 2.

10. Waif

Waif

Sure miss my woods runnin squirrel dog.
    A brace of squirrels are enough here anymore....
    My best count day came long ago near dark going five for five from the same tree used as a rest for the .22 with all head shots high in the canopy.
    Have arrowed them too. One day there were seven above me at one time. No shot that way....
    One squirrel can make for a good hunt more often than not where numbers are low.

11. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

For those days when they aren't moving, get yourself a squirrel call. Sometimes you'll one to come to you, most other times they give up where they're at.

Hunters Edge likes this.
  12. wpmisport

wpmisport

What type of squirrels you getting now. Fox squirrels seem to on the decline. Black and grey squirrels are everywhere now. A lot of them in Midland county if want them. Have a good time.

13. Gstan1

Gstan1

Season is over but was getting a lot of grey squirrels on one piece of property and Fox on the other piece of property. And the third farm i hunt was almost all small red . All in Livingston County

14. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Red squirrels are open year round with a valid hunting license with the exception of Parks and Recreation Areas. If the 3rd farm will let you on. Thinning the red squirrel population down hard, may allow a foot hold for other squirrels to move in. Looking ahead for next year's squirrel season, and gives you an opportunity to extend your season, as long as it is red squirrels. Keep in mind April 1st you will need a 2018 small game license if you go hunting after March 31st.

15. Gstan1

Gstan1

Thanks, already bought my 2018 small game license

Hunters Edge likes this.