First Michigan Turkey hunt

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Buck city bowhunter, May 14, 2018.

1. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Just woke up packing up the truck and getting ready for my first season hunting turkey here in Michigan.

Going out with the crossbow for the first time. Not really a crossbow hunter but have failed a few times shooting them with my compound bow so crossbow it is!

Been out scouting a total of 11 days this last week and a half (havent been out since Wednesday). Found a few really good spots and cold called a gobbler a few days before that.

So I have high hopes. Glad we are getting this warm up this week hopefully it sparks up some lonely gobbler today! I'll let y'all know things go!

Good luck to everyone still chasing!

Attached Files:

2. birdhntr

birdhntr

Good luck!I have a hen yelping in my subdivision at the moment.She is a loud raspy one!

3. old graybeard

old graybeard

4. Namrock

Namrock

Good luck on your 1st Mich-turk. Shoot straight. & Watch out for the lighting.

5. ReeseHunter

ReeseHunter

Best of luck to you. What are the pine cones for

6. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Today was a good day. had the Toms hammering today! It was beautiful! Unfortunately I wasnt able to drop the hammer just yet.

So first encounter was about 730 had 2 Toms come in. I sat at a woodline intersection of a few clear cuts and started calling. Heard 2 Toms hammering about 80 yards out. put out 2 hen decoys and sat down. The toms, one to my right that I could see and another drumming behind me i couldnt see. As soon as the tom I could see locked on the decoys he was spooked and took the other time with him.

I backed out and went the other direction. Went deeper into the woods and hit a few calls and heard gobbler maybe 200 or less yards away. Danced with him for maybe 20 mins before he came in on the totally wrong side. Successfully repositioned as he came 5 yrds up the old logging road he didn't like something he saw and putted away as I was noticing his double beard!!. Really frustrating but i had a lot of fun today. And it was my birthday.

Probably gonna be back in the woods at 5am to try and kill one of these guys hopefully that double beard guy!

7. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Got it done this morning guys!

All I can say is how grateful I am. 2nd day hunting. My opener was the 14th (my B-Day)
    Went out, had a great time, but today! Was amazing!

Got in the woods around 4:50 and wasnt hearing the normal roost hammering. Got discouraged from not hunting/scouting for 2 days in between my last hunt didnt have any birds roosted. Was gonna drive roads and scout fields but something told me to keep going.

15 minutes later finally got a gobble from the owl call. So I hit a field thats half clover half last years corn got right under this oak thats basically right in the middle of the field.

Hit the call hard! Hard cutting, the whole nine. long story short he went for a ride in the truck!

20180518_065613.jpg

Got him with the cheapo decoy ive had for 4 years. They work fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 10:24 AM
  8. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Cheapest hunt of my life! Public Land, Crossbow i borrowed my 13 year old nephew (bought it for him and he never used it) cheap $10 decoy (4 years old) Cracked glass call (also 4 years old) and 1 arrow! Lmao!!

He's priceless to me!

My first eastern Michigan Turkey!
    20180518_064024.jpg

20180518_081455.jpg

20180518_081621.jpg

20180518_064033.jpg

Go get em guys! And his crop was full of corn just a little scout tip for you guys still hunting.

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. Namrock

Namrock

Sounds like a heck of a hunt. & a BIG Congrats on your 1st Mich-turk!

Buck city bowhunter likes this.
  10. Buck city bowhunter

Buck city bowhunter

Thanks a lot! Had a lot of fun doing it. Really surprised how many birds i saw and had opportunity at in just 2 days hunting. Really great seeing the birds thriving here.

Namrock likes this.