close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Dry Fly...

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by PunyTrout, Apr 8, 2018.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

that I have tied in ages.

I have not tied a dry fly for many years. But, a M-S member inspired me to get back into tying so I started with something big and relatively easy - a Hexagenia Spinner.

Using a needle to build the extended body was pretty simple. Some white glue, watered down 3 parts to 1 was used to shape the curvature. Apparently silicone works well too. A sharpie was used to add variegation.

Hex Extended Body.png

Next time or later I may add some variegation to the ventral side as well like the natural has.

Next I used a size 8 Daiichi 1120 scud type hook. Added some more dubbing, a hackle and a spent wing made from a transparent-grey plastic bag that the newspaper was delivered in.

Hex Spinner 1.png

Hex Spinner 2.png

It's fun to experiment. I have lots of traditional patterns in boxes from years past. Just thought I'd try something new.

2. twowack

twowack

3. mjh4

mjh4

Good looking fly!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

PunyTrout likes this.
  4. You make it look easy. Proportions are sweet.

PunyTrout likes this.
  5. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I was a bit dubious about using a plastic bag for the wings but they look pretty decent.

Hex Spinner 3.png

6. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Nice work! I like the fact that you used the Daiichi 1120. While it's a bit heavier that a traditional dry fly hook, it's strength will hold up to those night-time denizen browns.

Great looking fly, and good to hear you're back at the vise, or should I say vice? :)

adam bomb, PunyTrout and Black Ghost like this.
  7. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I can tell you know your hooks! Actually, I was debating using the 1150 which is a very similar hook. Although lighter wire with an up-turned eye. I thought the 1120 would be better in the long run for larger fish and the down-turned eye would let the extended body sit more naturally. I'll probably tie some with each and experiment with how they perform.

I have hundreds of Daiichi hooks to use up. Back when I would tie commercially I would buy them in bulk, by the thousand packs, 10 boxes of 100 each. I still have tons of hooks in various sizes.

The 4250 is still one of my favorites for strength. I still have some extended body Caddis nymphs that were tied with micro-vernille on a size 14 hook that landed both salmon and steelhead. I'm thinking of tying some extended body Hendricksons and/or Drakes with them.

Gamechanger likes this.
  8. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

I couldn't agree more regarding the 4250.

Daiichi's are my go-to hook, good price and excellent quality, although I tie using Mustads as well - if nothing else, for sentimental reasons.

9. partsman

partsman

Very cool, welcome back to dry fly tying, now there is something new I have to try. Thanks for sharing.
    Mike.

10. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Works of art. Very nice work guys