First boil coming

Discussion in 'Crayfish Trapping' started by DirtyCuffs, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DirtyCuffs

DirtyCuffs

Hey fellas,

I just got into this crawfish trapping thing. I made 4 traps and brought them up north with me while I dealt with putting up stands at my property for the upcoming bow season. I ended up with 29 rusties.

First night I set the traps over at Alden pier. I had taken the kids there a few times to catch perch and I had seen crawfish there. Only ended up with 9 total.

Second night I put out 5 traps(4 homemade and 1 mesh) at a bluegill lake the kids and I also fish, got 20. The mesh trap had a hole in it, I'm assuming a turtle?

I think I need to try different bait, I was using cut up bluegills. Im going to keep looking for better spots. I live in the Detroit metro area, so I think I may head around Ann Arbor. I've fished some good looking spots over there.

I appreciate all the info you guys put on the forum. Going to do this small boil for lunch on this soggy Labor Day. Hope you all have a fine holiday!

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1504534093.693211.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1504534143.950688.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1504534179.279991.jpg

Tryin2 likes this.
  2. Tryin2

Tryin2

I don't think you need to change your bait at all bluegills work great for lots of guys

DirtyCuffs and junkman like this.

3. junkman

junkman

:yeahthat:

DirtyCuffs likes this.
  4. DirtyCuffs

DirtyCuffs

Got it. Well than I direct my attention towards scouting for better spots. Thanks

Tryin2 likes this.
  5. DirtyCuffs

DirtyCuffs

6. biteme7951

biteme7951

Hard to tell from the pictures of your traps, but what size are the holes on each end? 1-1/2 to 2" diameter is recommended. I have better luck using 2" holes.

Barry.

DirtyCuffs and junkman like this.
  7. junkman

junkman

Two inch is the preferred size.An easy measuring tool for sizing the holes is a two inch trailer ball.

DirtyCuffs likes this.
  8. DirtyCuffs

DirtyCuffs

They are 1 1/2 inch. I'll take the snips to them tonight and widen them. Thanks for the tip!