Firearm factory boxes!

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by uncletj, Apr 22, 2018.

1. uncletj

uncletj Premium Member

I recently bought a High Standard revolver that came with the original box and paperwork including a parts schematic...got me wondering, just how much value does the box and paperwork add to a firearm...2%...5% maybe more or maybe less? is how rare the piece a factor at all?

2. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

It's not so much how rare the firearm is but rather is there a competitive collectors market for the firearm. The single most important factor in determining the value of a collectible handgun is condition. If the gun is a rusted out shooter then box, invoice, hanging tag etc. adds little to its value. Based on what I see on the S & W forum - where collectors are TRULY SERIOUS about collecting, value and prices - accoutrements as you describe - for a nice condition collectible handgun would probably increase the value of the package by about 15%. There are, however, an awful lot of variables going into this but again condition and demand are the primary determinants of value.

Not sure if this helps you or not but good luck.

9mm Hi-Power

Gil Martin, 6Speed and Waif like this.

3. agapeace

agapeace

Interesting. I’ve never heard it broken down to % like that. Fine research!

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Vintage Colt handgun boxes sell for a 15% -/+ premium over the prices of the handgun if the serial number matches. Colt would hand write the serial number on the bottom of the box.

5. Bandit67

Bandit67

I bought a cardboard box from a 1970's Colt Python at an estate sale a few years ago for $2. Listed it on Ebay and sold it for almost $300. I still can't believe it. Cha ching!

TrailMarker and Luv2hunteup like this.