Fire Fighters

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Scout 2, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Everybody say a prayer for the Mich firefighters in Cal. We just recieved word about 11:00 that a team of Michigan firefighters are trapped somewhere in Cal fighting the fire. They are from Mich and a few of them are locals. Don't know much more and they all may be locals from this area. They are trying to get them out with helicopers but no more has been heard about that

2. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Plenty of people are getting rescued by helicopters out there. It's a bad fire season with extremely high temperatures.

Hopefully everyone gets out safe.

3. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Hope they all get out safe. Stuff can happen in an instant when fighting those big fires.

4. jd4223

jd4223

Heard they had to ground helicopter rescues for now due to high winds and smoke/fires.

5. swampbuck

swampbuck

DNR firefighters ?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

They sent some crews as well as Forest Service crews. This is Cal-Fire's report for today.

8. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

They are from the UP

9. swampbuck

swampbuck

Ok thanks, I have friends at the Roscommon station. Hope those guys are safe

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

From what I under stand there were some from the area here. That is what my wife was told from the church when they called today. Hoping they all made it out safe

11. jimbo

jimbo

any report on these guys yet?

12. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

13. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

Wow, not good. Hope all is well for those guys!

I know a lot of people on the aerial firefighting side of things, but not too many of the guys on the ground.

Does anyone know why Cali doesn't cut fire lanes? Would it not be much help with the winds? Terrain is obviously rough in some areas.

DanSS26 likes this.
  14. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

Had an interesting conversation with a couple last week. They lived in Cali. near Malibu for over 30 years, they were visiting Mackinac Island. I asked about all the fires. They said that brush fires are a way of life and have been forever. They are good for the viability of the area.
    What has happened, in the past 20 years,
    was a tremendous growth of housing and now rather than fighting brush fires, they have to protect the houses. Another big issue is that the homeowners want privacy and refuse to clear the brush away from the houses. My son and daughter in law have close friends that live in the hills of Malibu. They have a stone 8 foot fence around the property, have a tile roof and have spray nozzles around the perimeter of the house run by a generator
    The 24 hour news cycle don't help the issue with all the conspiracy theory's spewed out.
    I'm sure the fire issue is more complex than what I reported, all I'm indicating is a different slant on the fire issue as told to me by someone with "real" knowledge and experience.

HUBBHUNTER and Far Beyond Driven like this.
  15. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

They are out. The team leader of this crew lives a few miles from where I do here. My wife knows his wife quite well. From what I understand he was not with them when they got trapped. One person is in critical condition and a couple other had burns. I don't know if they were all from Mich or not.